Stihl 036 Pro limiter cap removal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John S

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Saw was purchased in 2000, has what I gather to be the older style of plastic caps that have the wings on them. I clipped them off without removing them to allow turning the H and L screws. Problem is, they just rotate around but the actual screws do not move. How do I remove these so I can get the carb adjusted properly? It is running way over max rpm and I don't want to damage the engine by allowing this to continue. Any suggestions appreciated!

Saw was purchased in 2000, has what I gather to be the older style of plastic caps that have the wings on them. I clipped them off and didn't need to remove them to allow turning the H and L screws. problem is, they just rotate around but the actual screws do not move. How do I remove these so I can get the carb adjusted properly? It is running way over max rpm and I don't want to damage the engine by allowing this to continue. Any suggestions appreciated!
If plastic use an exato razor and just cut them in pieces.

I would but they go through a plastic block and I don't think I can get the entire cap cut off.

I'll give some of this a try and see what happens. If nothing else I'll run it to the dealer and have them get the darned things off!

I'll give some of this a try and see what happens. If nothing else I'll run it to the dealer and have them get the darned things off!
They won't do that. EPA.

Worst case, sink a drywall screw and crack all the plastic. Then rip it all out.

Saw was purchased in 2000, has what I gather to be the older style of plastic caps that have the wings on them. I clipped them off without removing them to allow turning the H and L screws. Problem is, they just rotate around but the actual screws do not move. How do I remove these so I can get the carb adjusted properly? It is running way over max rpm and I don't want to damage the engine by allowing this to continue. Any suggestions appreciated!

you can buy a new carb, without limiters, on ebay for $22.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...l+036+carb&_nkw=stihl+036+carburetor&_sacat=0

Ended up just pulling on the limiters with a pair of pliers, they came right off! Didn't have to remove the block as they were apparently just pressed in with no retaining shoulders.

Use a very small allen wrench. I think it's 2mm? I store it behind the black plastic winter baffle that snaps into the inside top of the air filter cover.

edit Sorry, I didn't read far enough. you have it solved. DW

Back