Stihl 038 Mag.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gui272

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm picking up a saw hopefully tomorrow. It's a 038 Mag that looks absolutly brand new. I've read some stuff that these are really good saws. Whats a value on these saws and what do you guys think? How do they cut in comparison to a 036?

thanks,

i have one pic attached

Is that NOS?! or restored? Id clean it up and shelf that baby! THAT THING IS NICE!!! I could drop 500 on it too!!! I think they are closer to the 044 kinda standards.. Heavy and torquey A few guys here love them.

038 Mag.2, my first big saw. Sorry I ever sold it, until I ran a 372xp...:msp_scared:

i have my brother's 038 super pro in my shop now. formerly belonged to my dad who got alot of use out of it. my brother aint a saw guy so i'm baby sitting it for him lol. i told him it's in good company with the 009, 017,028wb,032av,036 and 041fb. and i'm a husky guy lol. but seriously though it is an awesome saw with a good power band and alot of grunt. you'll love it and 500 would be nothing for that specimen in that pic.

loco

Last edited:
Found a ported 038 mag at our local landfill needing a new tank. Bought after market tank and have been totally amazed by saws performance. A little heavy maybe but the torque offsets any weight problem. You will love that saw, good luck, hope you can score.

My first saw was an 038M. I bought it new in the mid 80's and still have it.
I use it occasionally but it sits a lot more since I got an MS460 and 562xp last year.
It's still a good saw and I wouldn't feel deprived if it was the only saw I owned. It's got plenty of torque and is fun to run with a 20" bar and 8 pin rim.

That is a great saw. We used to pump em up and the guys would fall timber with em pulling 36 inch bar and chain. Put a 28" on it or smaller and look out.:chainsaw:

I built one with NOS parts a while ago and it could be that one...as u can tell that something isn't right by the pop riveted ID tag. The one I sold did have the pop riveted tag on it.

I had an new OEM tank on the saw I sold, but it ended up getting caught in a hurricane in like arkansas so I sent him a replacement chinese tank. I almost wonder if that is the exact same saw.

Last edited:
The lack of stickers on the brake handle and the tank tell u it is probably built from parts instead of a saw that came off the line.

well, i'm picking it up saturday morning hopefully. i talked to the guy last night about it. He said they bought it from a local dealer around them.

What should i look for to be sure this is a magnum saw. If it was a regular 038 av i wouldn't want to spend as much on it.

here are a couple more pics.

Can you guys say yay or nay that it's a Mag by the pics?

to me, it looks rebuilt, with anewer "MAGNUM" sticker on her. just pull the muff, and measure the bore. that will tell you if mag or not!

to me, it looks rebuilt, with anewer "MAGNUM" sticker on her. just pull the muff, and measure the bore. that will tell you if mag or not!

How would i measure the bore and what size is the mag bore vs super vs regular 038?

thanks!

hopefully this guy isn't pissed that i trea teh muffler off and measure it like that.

he did say that he got it from a local dealer. I'd hope they didn't mislead this guy but you never know i guess.

Take a piece of wire with you crank it over till the piston is on the up stroke insert the wire in the chamber until it hits the other side. Roll piston forward till it pinches the wire pull out wire an measure.
52mm means magnum anything less and its just a sticker.

the last 038 mag I bought new was in 1996 it was 700.00 came with a 16 b/c had a 24 b/c mounted on it that thing would screem ,had a couple of regular 038av and a couple of 038 supers they were all strong saws and hardly ever had any trouble with them . they were heavy but i ran beside a 046 all day with one . the only thing i remember breaking was the starter rope when they got worn because all that compression they had.

I sold an 038 Super last week on Flea-Bay w/ 30 in B/C and it sold for $570 + shipping. A friend of mine with a 044 Mag and I (038 Super) had a little fun on a downed 24" oak. He won....but not by all that much. Those 038s have a ton of torque. It is substantially heavier than an 044. Thats why I use the 044 for bigger stuff. If it were me...I would spend my $500 on a 044 Mag. That is a great example of a 038Mag...I can see why you are attracted to it.:msp_wub:

Latest posts

Back