Stihl 038 Mag.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How would i measure the bore and what size is the mag bore vs super vs regular 038?

thanks!

hopefully this guy isn't pissed that i trea teh muffler off and measure it like that.

he did say that he got it from a local dealer. I'd hope they didn't mislead this guy but you never know i guess.

Take a piece of wire with you crank it over till the piston is on the up stroke insert the wire in the chamber until it hits the other side. Roll piston forward till it pinches the wire pull out wire an measure.
52mm means magnum anything less and its just a sticker.

Just be sure its not regular steel wire!
You need some stiff solder (.062 or equivalent- its the same stuff I use to measure squish), straighten it out, insert it through exhaust port and rotate flywheel until it creates in indent in the wire, then measure it (I use metric vernier calipers). It should be 52mm.
The only other way I can think of doing it is the cylinder is probably a Mahle cylinder, and should have a "52" in its part number molded into its base. The only problem with that is you'll probably need to pull the cylinder to see it.

Just be sure its not regular steel wire!
You need some stiff solder (.062 or equivalent- its the same stuff I use to measure squish), straighten it out, insert it through exhaust port and rotate flywheel until it creates in indent in the wire, then measure it (I use metric vernier calipers). It should be 52mm.
The only other way I can think of doing it is the cylinder is probably a Mahle cylinder, and should have a "52" in its part number molded into its base. The only problem with that is you'll probably need to pull the cylinder to see it.

seems like the bolt holes for the magnum were wider apart were they?

so, if i use the coffee straw. Just put it in there and rotate the piston until it makes contact, then pull the straw out and measure it. i guess you have to rotate it far enough that it will make a mark at least but not to far that it breaks the straw off inside.

what bolts are you talking about?

i'm starting to get a little leary that this saw is really a Mag saw. If it's not i don't think i'm goign to be interested in it. it looks good but it woudl benifit me if it was a mag only.

Yes, that's true, but I don't know the difference of the measurements between the mag and non-mag versions though. Anybody know?
I figure the solder method would be the best way though.

I thought i had a super and a magnum jug i was going to mesure the distance in the holes on top of the cylinder but i can find them now.

if you can get it cheap, still buy her!!! just make sure he knows that it isnt a magnum! and he should let it go cheaper..

if you can get it cheap, still buy her!!! just make sure he knows that it isnt a magnum! and he should let it go cheaper..

yeah, thats true. it still is in great shape for sure and looks to be a good saw. If anyone has any information that i can use to make sure this is a mag saw other than measureing the bore, i'd appreciat it alot. I don't want to offend teh guy by tearing the saw apart like that when i'm lookign at it.

if i could identify it another way that would be much easier to do.

what would you guys pay for this if it was just a regular 038 and not a mag...

or better yet.

038 ... PRICE
038 Super PRICE
038 MAG Price

what would you guys pay? i don't want to say what he's asking. i'd like to get an un-biased opinion on a value.

thanks,

so, if i use the coffee straw. Just put it in there and rotate the piston until it makes contact, then pull the straw out and measure it. i guess you have to rotate it far enough that it will make a mark at least but not to far that it breaks the straw off inside.

what bolts are you talking about?

i'm starting to get a little leary that this saw is really a Mag saw. If it's not i don't think i'm goign to be interested in it. it looks good but it woudl benifit me if it was a mag only.

If-n it aint a Mag, it really aint worth it ........unless you plan on modding it and making it a Magnum
If not, you would be better off spending your $$ on something lighter with the same displacement
I had an 038 Super ........................... sold it and got the Magnum, never looked back

You are just looking to make witness marks that can be measured.
Solder can bend if you ding it, or drop it, throwing off your measurement - be carefull !!
Stirring straw keeps its shape, even if you ding it.

I run a 2 saw program for felling, bucking, and cookies;
Tweaked 044 untill I run out of gas, then the MM'd 038 Mag untill it runs out of gas - both with 32" ES bars and RS (RSF on the 038 Mag) or 25" ES bars with RS on each
Then I gas & oil them both up

My 038 Mag beats any stock 044, and isnt way behind the modded 044 - although with Terry porting a cylinder for me for the 044, I might just need to get him to do a cylinder for the 038 Mag as well ...................

Last edited:
I haven't seen a mag that didn't say 038M on the nameplate, rather than 038AV. The magnum sticker could be a .99 cent add on.

Mag(or Mag II) in that condition = $500
Super in That condition= $350
038AV in that condition= $275

We are cheapies here on AS. Those saws listed above would likely sell for more on the "bay". It amazing what they will pay for clean,shiny old saws.:msp_rolleyes:

Stop the mag II talk already I sold mine a while back and you are only firing up sellers remorse with all this talk bout screaming and torque :msp_sad:

Where in PA are you located?

The saw was from York area. Im picking it up in the morning. I started to question whether its a magnum or not. It looks great. Ill have to measure it and see what it is. Hopefully its a magnum.

My brother has an 038 Magnum that is probably 20 years old. Still cuts all his wood with it. That beast has cut tons and tons of firewood over the years. I ran it more than once and while I would not want to tote that thing around all day due to its weight, it can surely cut some big wood. Lots of torque and pretty bullet proof. I believe he told me one time that he paid $500 bucks for the saw when he bought it new.

well i dont know what the matter with me but i run husky 372xp i will tak that boat anker fishing got me a 038 mag today and its a wood cutter for sure cuts.I cut 8-10 cord a year and cant wait to get this beast in the woods,mine was a little beat i paid $375 and would pay it in a second if i could do it all over. i think your going to love the pull of that saw good luck happy chipping ;)

I picked up a 038 mag ll off ebay for 280.00

It had a flaired bar tip from being dropped from a bucket

gas tank was broken so i torn it down and rebuilt it

replaced everything that needed replacing and sent it too Randy to get lighter

should be back real soon

it should last me a long time of cutting wood for camp

View attachment 281596View attachment 281597View attachment 281598

case was powdered

I picked up a 038 mag ll off ebay for 280.00

It had a flaired bar tip from being dropped from a bucket

gas tank was broken so i torn it down and rebuilt it

replaced everything that needed replacing and sent it too Randy to get lighter

should be back real soon

it should last me a long time of cutting wood for camp

View attachment 281596View attachment 281597View attachment 281598

case was powdered

Nice score !!
I would love to see a video of yours cut some wood !!!
I have Terry porting me a cylinder for my 038 Mag .....

I cant wait eithor !!

Latest posts

Back