Stihl 042 Chain Brake and Carb Questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craigw78

Reaction score
I just bought an 042 off Craigslist and have a few questions. First, the saw does not have a chain brake or any of the internal brake components. The necessary reliefs are cut into the saw to accommodate the two points where it would attach, so I am wondering if chain brakes were optional on the 042 or if this particular saw just had its brake removed. Also, the carburetor leaks a significant amount of gas when the tilted even a pretty small amount on saw's starter side.

I really don't want to run the saw too much without a chain brake, so I am wondering if it would be practical or even possible to add a brake? I would also like any suggestions on what may be wrong with the carb. Lastly, if I decide to just sell the saw what would be a reasonable price considering that it is in fair condition, runs well and has slightly cracked up top covers and no brake? Any input will be much appreciated. Thank you.

hello yes they had chain brakes

some one took it off cause they didn't like them or they broke it. carb leak I would check and replace the fuel line. does it run? where in mt are you ?

some one took it off cause they didn't like them or they broke it. carb leak I would check and replace the fuel line. does it run? where in mt are you ?

Many 042's actually came with a hand guard only...It was quite common and I own one like that.

Yes, you can retrofit a chain brake onto those saws, as long as you get all the parts.:msp_thumbup:

I am in Billings. Yes the saw runs good so far. I haven't cut anything with it yet and I haven't even ran it long enough to really bring it up to operating temp, but it seems to be a pretty strong running saw for its age and amount of use. I haven't decided yet if I will keep it or sell it, so if you are interested let me know. Thanks for your input guys.

Latest posts

Back