Stihl 044 gas caps

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My 044 #2 (orig tank) has been leaking gas lately. I had previously repaired the vent, but this time it seems to be coming from the cap. I exchanged the cap with the one that was on the old 044 #1 tank holder, the rubber gasket on that one looked real good, but it is still leaking, and it looks like it is coming through the inside of the cap (that octagon part moves separately from the rest of the cap).

Is this a likely/common problem? Should I be looking for a new cap?

Thanks, in advance, for any advice.

nah its one of those parts that for me the difference in cost isn't worth keeping them in inventory
early on I sold 362 sets of AM caps before I sold the first (and only) set of OEM - I remember the number because the 362 is so awesome :)

if it matters to you in the medium size the NWP caps are black in the center vs orange for the farmertec and seem to be a different type of plastic, neither leaks so it comes down to price and color preference and remember black caps matter :)

Is that the new recipe tank?
You tell me ;),the vents i have not had a problem with this style tank yet either ,the 044 ones always siphoned out fuel and made puddles in my pickup bed ,this saw hangs off the back of my skid steer ,i have backed into a few trees where the 044 tank would have crushed apart ,the newer tanks take much more abuse.

CIMG7390.JPG 440 tank new style 004.JPG 440 tank new style 001.JPG

I like the flippy caps... its odd. I tell customers either you are going to love them or your going to come in calling me everything but a white man with a lap full of gas or B&C oil... only had that happen a couple times.

I've never had a screw cap leak but I've over-tightened one and broke it. The center feel in my oil tank...it's still in there.

i have saw a couple flip caps leak because of saw chips wouldnt let the cap seal so i check the ones i have but i think i only have 4 flip cap saws the rest are screwy

Latest posts

Back