Stihl 044 Idle Problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitch95100

Saw Nut
Reaction score
Hey guys so I recently got this Stihl 044 from a member on here blown up from a nasty air leak. Tore it down and put a new clutch side seal, piston cylinder on her and fired it up. My problem is that it runs beautifully at wot and cutting, makes a ton of torque and is just a good saw, problem is it does not idle at all. Fire it up and will idle for 5 seconds and just die. Then after it warms up the condition worsens. Comes down from wot, hits idle and falls flat on its face. I have cleaned the carb multiple times and set the screws 1 turn out. Changed the carb and conditions didn't change all that much so I don't think it's the carb. Runs great at wot so fuel line isn't collapsing. Pressure tests good at 10psi. Spraying soapy water there's no bubbles anywhere even when turning the crank. Impulse line seems good I just don't know where to go next and am at a loss here. I even changed the coil and didn't change anything! Baaaa these are such damn good saws and this ones being a little booger. Help me! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would say it still has a leak somewhere. My guess is the carb as well. Maybe where it connects to the cylinder or where the carb body meets the gasket.

Worse when warm, runs then when it idles it dies out soon. All this says air leak.

You said you turned the screws to one turn out. Maybe you need to turn them out further. Especially the L needle. Do you know what to listen for when adjusting the screws

You may want to vacuum test it. The saw çan hold presure,
but not hold vacuum if a seal is bad. Pay attention to the crankshaft sleeve on the clutch side and the flywheel side seal.

Hey guys so I recently got this Stihl 044 from a member on here blown up from a nasty air leak. Tore it down and put a new clutch side seal, piston cylinder on her and fired it up. My problem is that it runs beautifully at wot and cutting, makes a ton of torque and is just a good saw, problem is it does not idle at all. Fire it up and will idle for 5 seconds and just die. Then after it warms up the condition worsens. Comes down from wot, hits idle and falls flat on its face. I have cleaned the carb multiple times and set the screws 1 turn out. Changed the carb and conditions didn't change all that much so I don't think it's the carb. Runs great at wot so fuel line isn't collapsing. Pressure tests good at 10psi. Spraying soapy water there's no bubbles anywhere even when turning the crank. Impulse line seems good I just don't know where to go next and am at a loss here. I even changed the coil and didn't change anything! Baaaa these are such damn good saws and this ones being a little booger. Help me! Lol

Pull your plug and check what's going on. Is it wet or super dry?

it sounds to me like you aren't getting enough fuel on your Low speed circuit. Try opening the L more to see if it starts to hold idle at 1.25-1.75 turns out. Also make sure your idle is set far enough open to keep it moving. Carb plate might be closed down too tight to be allowing enough air in.

If it were an air leak you would be racing from drawing to much air at idle. Sounds to me like you're either getting to much fuel and flooding it out at idle or not pulling enough. Either way it sounds like a fuel delivery problem. You can pull the muffler to see if you are wet on the exhaust side too.

I love the usual "do you know what to listen for when tuning a chainsaw"? No I just hold it open as and turn the screw until it won't go any louder.
I highly doubt it's leaking air guys. It's Been pressure tested 3 times all at 10psi. It doesn't leak. It has all new seals and it doesn't fail a vacuum either. I agree with nstueve that it's in a L side fuel circuit. I'll go tinker with it later. Normally I don't have many issues and this is a last resort when I'm fed up lol
I appreciate all the answer thanks guys!

I love the usual "do you know what to listen for when tuning a chainsaw"? No I just hold it open as and turn the screw until it won't go any louder.
I highly doubt it's leaking air guys. It's Been pressure tested 3 times all at 10psi. It doesn't leak. It has all new seals and it doesn't fail a vacuum either. I agree with nstueve that it's in a L side fuel circuit. I'll go tinker with it later. Normally I don't have many issues and this is a last resort when I'm fed up lol
I appreciate all the answer thanks guys!

I had a similar issue with an 044. I replaced the usual things still wouldn't idle. Replaced the air filter and it will idle all day. I'm not trying to insult your intelligence or anything just giving input lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

I had a similar issue with an 044. I replaced the usual things still wouldn't idle. Replaced the air filter and it will idle all day. I'm not trying to insult your intelligence or anything just giving input lol.

I think what your saying is check the easy stuff first. Like if a electric fan doesn't work check and see if its plugged in. Had a nc punch press traveling all over the place one time and our machine repair guy was going nuts trying to figure out what was wrong. He was scratching his head for hours. I went over to have a look and seen someone had flipped the switched from decimal to millimeter. One flick of the switch and she was fixed.

Impulse lines sure can act like they are in good shape but they'll fool you. As they age they take the shape of the barb at the case end and tend to leak when they harden up.
Clamp it down or replace it and check the intake boot for cracks.
Did you install a new kit in the carb? If not then you'll want to do that.

No no offense taken at all! Lol I understand what you ment I was just saying it's funny to me because people are like do you even know what the hell your doing?!? And I'm over here like... I thought I did haha [emoji23]

Impulse lines sure can act like they are in good shape but they'll fool you. As they age they take the shape of the barb at the case end and tend to leak when they harden up.
Clamp it down or replace it and check the intake boot for cracks.
Did you install a new kit in the carb? If not then you'll want to do that.
I'll take a peek at that. Thank you!

Back