Stihl 044 Restoration

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glen1978

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Ive got a MS360 Pro that I keep a 20" bar on for general duty. My Dad has an older 044 with a 30" bar on it he bought from a friend of mine years ago before he went to jail. Paid like $200 for it. Was suppose to have been "hopped up" but have no idea what, if anything was done. It ran years ago but its sat in his shop since. Anyway he told me to come get it if I thought I could use it. Id like to get it back running and looking good again if it isnt gona be a big/expensive undertaking. Fresh fuel/plug/carb clean at minimum. Anything else I should do? If I remember right the plastics were all dingy and faded and if I can get it running right whats best way to restore plastics? Thanks!

Well went and picked it up today. He had a new 25" bar/chain. An extra chain as well. Had a 36" bar and chain as well. A new handle and new clutch cover (I think those might have come off a 460 we had years ago). Anyway pulled plug. Cylinder looked mint and piston looked new. Plug was new. Dumped out gas and put fresh in. Pulled it 8 or 10 time and it popped off. Let it run for a sec and let her eat some 20" oak I had laid down. Shes a runner too. Everything I can find says its a 10mm crank saw. Old serial number, red switch, and angled fins. Tire it down somewhat and cleaned it up. Man she runs good.

Attachments

• 20221215_165539.jpg
    20221215_165539.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
Angled fins is a hotrod at heart. Saw Porters haven't been able to grind a cylinder to match it.

Well went and picked it up today. He had a new 25" bar/chain. An extra chain as well. Had a 36" bar and chain as well. A new handle and new clutch cover (I think those might have come off a 460 we had years ago). Anyway pulled plug. Cylinder looked mint and piston looked new. Plug was new. Dumped out gas and put fresh in. Pulled it 8 or 10 time and it popped off. Let it run for a sec and let her eat some 20" oak I had laid down. Shes a runner too. Everything I can find says its a 10mm crank saw. Old serial number, red switch, and angled fins. Tire it down somewhat and cleaned it up. Man she runs good.
That's a keeper.

Good insurance would be a pres/vac test.

Well well lets not be to fast to not grind that thing.
I may have made that up. I think ive got a angled finned that is a raped ape after grinding.
Ive actually got a few 44 tops and 46 for the same saw.
The angled is ported alittle. Not sure ive ever messed with 46 ports. Saw is a kinda life long toy now its 440,ported 440/064.

Stsrted as a 10mm 44 then kinds just snowballed it does now have two flippy caps dammit.
Early on a big fir somehow fell on it Being she was bar deep and locked in I had to leave her to fend for herself. She didnt fare well

Id like to revive this again. Just checked over my stash didnt find the slant fin. Did notice I have jb weld on the one 44 intske throat. Hmmm might have run thst one again.

This saw with a healthy top end and 2820221216_184815.jpg" light bar would be a dream to run. Heck it is with a heavy bar

Its a fun saw for sure

Back