Stihl 048

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Scandy14

Scandy14

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Here are a couple of pics of my 048 Stihl that I picked up recently. This is going to be my winter project.
I have now completely disassembled the saw and in the process of reworking the fuel system and replacing all the AV buffers. I am also going to repaint the tank assembly. I will re-post new pictures when I have it finished.

Al Smith

Al Smith

Addicted to ArboristSite
Let me once again point out the weak part of that saw,which are the case screws.If it hasen't already been done,replace them with torx head screws available at the dealers.M5 by 25 I think.If they have been replaced ,check the tightness of them.

If you can't find the AV buffers,several members on here have them.Of the air filters,the flocked ones are the best but out of stock for a new one.

In good running condition they are a pretty peppy saw.

epicklein22
There is pretty nice 042 on ebay right now. I did a little search on AS and found out that the 048 piston fits the 042. I rarely ever see a 042 or 048 anywhere, thats why I did the AS search. They seem like a nice old solid saw that have a few (fixable) problems.

Good luck with your project and have fun. That should be a nice, unique addition to your collection.:cheers:

Al Smith

Al Smith

Addicted to ArboristSite
There is pretty nice 042 on ebay right now. I did a little search on AS and found out that the 048 piston fits the 042. I rarely ever see a 042 or 048 anywhere, thats why I did the AS search.
Well,not exactly.You would have to exchange the cylinder as well.With few exceptions both saws are one in the same.Differences being ignition systems and plastic shrouding mainly and of course larger bore size on the 048.

SawTroll

SawTroll

Information Collector
Here are a couple of pics of my 048 Stihl that I picked up recently. This is going to be my winter project.
I have now completely disassembled the saw and in the process of reworking the fuel system and replacing all the AV buffers. I am also going to repaint the tank assembly. I will re-post new pictures when I have it finished.

As I remember it, it was a short-lived model, based on the 042, and replaced by the 046....:)

...but I am no expert.

andrethegiant70

andrethegiant70

Addicted to ArboristSite
There is some pretty decent information on the site regarding the 048 from a while ago. I was VERY impressed with how people felt about it. It really has a loyal following. Gobs of power and people loved how it felt in their hands. Don't see many, though.....Niko prolly nailed it.... a fairly short run.

Scandy14

Scandy14

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
AL, I have purchased new buffers that were available from my Stihl dealer and I also plan to replace the case screws with the Torx head screws per your suggestion.

I hope to get a couple of coats of paint on the tank tomorrow. It has been a fun project so far.

epicklein22
Well,not exactly.You would have to exchange the cylinder as well.With few exceptions both saws are one in the same.Differences being ignition systems and plastic shrouding mainly and of course larger bore size on the 048.

My mistake, I meant to say piston and cylinder. Those are some nice looking saws you have there Al.

Scandy, Pics of your progress would be sweet.