Stihl 055 chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DBOY

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Do any of you experts have a trick that will safely remove the keyed cover behind the flywheel on an old Stihl 055 chainsaw. I squirted it with penetrating oil and have threaded the nut back on until it was flush with the end of the crankshaft and then used both a piece of hardwood and a big drift punch and tried getting it to pop loose with a couple hammer blows to no avail. It's a great saw that I can see the insulation on the wire that goes to the on/off switch has deteriorated and caused it to misfire and sometimes shutdown. I'd like to either replace that wire or just shrink wrap or tape it up so I am back in business.
Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide me with...it is greatly appreciated.

I actually posted this yesterday under the homeowners section so maybe that was incorrect. I find it difficult and a little confusing to find where would be best to post a question.

Anyhow, I read through many of the threads on here last night and have come to the conclusion that I may not even know what model saw I have. I did pick it up quite sometime ago and have cut tons of firewood with it, but now find myself having issues with the insulation on the wire to the on/off switch. I've contacted Stihl and they told me it was an 055, but I haven't seen anything on this site that mentions that saw at all. In any event I'd like to pull the flywheel off, now that I have determined it has what I guess is considered a two-piece flywheel. I pulled it all apart yesterday as I described above and tried all the methods I have used on other small engines over the years, but didn't get back to it today after deciding that I probably need a puller after reading all the great info here last night. My dilemma is that if I don't know for sure what model it is how would I buy a puller...I gathered they are not all the same.

Again, any assistance in solving my dilemma would be greatly appreciated. Thanks very much!

Dan

Hey thanks...that was quick! I'd send ya a picture but it's in a couple dozen pieces right now. Gee, those saws look so similar to each other I can't say for sure if either one looks more like mine than the other. I'll check my handle and top cover in the morning and see if I can then make an educated guess and hopefully someone else may chime in and get me thoroughly confused...LOL The guy I got it from told me it was an 051, but I called the Stihl factory and that guy asked me to send some numbers off parts to him and he wrote back that it was an 055, so here I am!

Back