Stihl 064 AV Info

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As far as the coils go, if you're saw has good spark and you don't need them, someone here would probably buy them from you.

Yesterday I was finally able to put my 064 back together thanks to snow. Had everything buttoned up and ready to go, no spark. So I go strolling down to the local saw shop and see if he had any use/new coils for it. The 3 coils the WSM shows, 2 would not fit. The one that did fit, didnt have a part number. Just out of shear luck, he had a NOS coil for a 066 which did fit. 130$

So I would hang on to any parts you think you might need. Of all the spare 064 parts I have in one of my storage bins, no coil.

Did I mention that my 064 responded very well to a heavy woods port? Oh yeah! 13,900Rpm with a 32" B&C free load.

The air filter is very different on the early ones. It's more like a 026 style where the later ones are the standard oval filters like a 044-088.

Yes the 064 I have start off with the thin whimpy air filter and its weird design. Over time I bought the HD filter set up, then the hole shot after market set up. New engine shroud, AV mounts, 066 dual port muffler, and now a new coil.

Yesterday I was finally able to put my 064 back together thanks to snow. Had everything buttoned up and ready to go, no spark. So I go strolling down to the local saw shop and see if he had any use/new coils for it. The 3 coils the WSM shows, 2 would not fit. The one that did fit, didnt have a part number. Just out of shear luck, he had a NOS coil for a 066 which did fit. 130$

So I would hang on to any parts you think you might need. Of all the spare 064 parts I have in one of my storage bins, no coil.

Did I mention that my 064 responded very well to a heavy woods port? Oh yeah! 13,900Rpm with a 32" B&C free load.

Yes the 064 I have start off with the thin whimpy air filter and its weird design. Over time I bought the HD filter set up, then the hole shot after market set up. New engine shroud, AV mounts, 066 dual port muffler, and now a new coil.

What RPM is the 064 to run at? I've read 12,000 and then I've read 13,000......

My early 1986 edition didn't rev near as high as my 066 so I'd say 12,000 seemed about right, although I never put a tach to it but I MM'd it and it didn't help. In softwood under say 28" I'd use a 460 as it's much faster. but in bigger wood where rpm speed doesn't help as much as torque and that's were the 064 really shines. I see no reason on a stock 064 to run a bar less than 32" I know because I tried and it was disappointing. Even though the 064 is light, there are better choices for firewood saws. To me it's more of a faller and loggers saw for big wood.

My early 1986 edition didn't rev near as high as my 066 so I'd say 12,000 seemed about right, although I never put a tach to it but I MM'd it and it didn't help. In softwood under say 28" I'd use a 460 as it's much faster. but in bigger wood where rpm speed doesn't help as much as torque and that's were the 064 really shines. I see no reason on a stock 064 to run a bar less than 32" I know because I tried and it was disappointing. Even though the 064 is light, there are better choices for firewood saws. To me it's more of a faller and loggers saw for big wood.
So, you would like a 064 with a 066 topend turning 15K?:rock:

Ya Brad, who wouldn't, the problem is keeping that monster alive. One reason they're light is their crankcase isn't made for that kind of punishment. When I bought mine I was gonna put a 660 topend on it but after a bit of investigating I decided to leave the saw in it's original condition. It reminded me of the days we would scrap a nice Impala, Galaxy, or Imperial just to get the big engine to put in a smaller hot rod. Not so many of the big cars left anymore so maybe it would be good to keep a few for historical sake? My old crew chief did the same with the hemi cars when top fuel was common in the late 60's and 70's. but you wouldn't scrap a hemi Challanger or Cuda today. I decided to leave a nice old saw alone. If I'm gonna risk hurting a saw then I'll do it with a newer, easily replaced saw.

Latest posts

Back