STIHL 066 - not enough oil w/new pump

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kcarring

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I replaced my bar, my chain, my oil pump and the worm drive. The saw itself runs great. It oils but not enough. The passageway from the saw through the bar are impeccably clean. I only have one tin plate chain guide.... i use it on the oil feed side.... the other side has no tin plate guide (Which seems wierd to a husky guy)... but i can't see how that wood really matter. *** When i try to set the oil adjust screw on the bottom to MAX (all the way clockwise) .... it quickly backs off and does not stay ... within a minute or less. *** I'm at wits end... wondering. . Is this the problem? It doesn't oil much at all really. I've flushed out the tank with mixed gas many times. Is there a restriction in the lines between the pump and the oil reservoir? Do i need to split the entire case apart to get at this and make it better FOR SURE. SO frustrating... on the verge of spending another thousand bucks to replace a great saw with huge power that just won't oil. Ugh. Thanks for any help

Ugh. The adjustment screw only had one quarter of a turn travel.... and i turned it too hard (clockwise). It kind of made a snap and now turns indefinitely (stripped i guess) yikes

Honestly it's been so long i can't remember if i went with an expensive or inexpensive Chinese one. At this point though... It looks like I've gone and messed up the casing by overtightening the oil adjust screw. See above. So at this point to taking the entire saw apart, casing and all... and finding out what is really going on :(. Does that mean I'll need to buy a casing gasket? Then i can redo the lines or blow them out... redo the pump with a factory pump... and at very least set the oiler so it is on max oil permanently.

The pump comes out after removing the clutch. The adjusting screw is steel and the pump body is aluminium, so you probably damaged the body. You can take the opportunity to get a high output pump. Some aftermarket pumps on Ebay claim to be high output but refer the standard output part number. If you go for AM make sure you get a real HO pump.

Am pumps are not always the best route to go as quality control is such as its a crap shoot whether they will perform up to OEM standards, oil output may be less than desirable. The others are correct, no need to split cases to replace the oil pump and or lines, they are all external accessible outside the crankcase. Best bet is to use an new OEM pump and line if needed. I have had zero good results with AM rubber fuel and oil lines.

Thankyou very much for your replies. Im taking from Eric's comment that screw adjuster is actually on the pump itself and that i damaged the pump...not the casing... that's great news. It's fairly likely it was a cheap pump... i Honestly do not remember, but it was not purchased locally and at the time i did not know about the large varying part and price/quality out there. I probably just thought i was "getting a Pump" at that time and that there was very little difference , one from the next.

As for the lines....

Does one take sturdy forceps to remove the oil feed tube from the inside of the tank? Is that how its done? I remember changing the pump itself... that was not too bad. I'd really like to get a high output pump.... this saw is a true menace to wood, and typically im doing firewood which is horrible for its drying effect.

Thankyou very much for your replies. Im taking from Eric's comment that screw adjuster is actually on the pump itself and that i damaged the pump...not the casing... that's great news. It's fairly likely it was a cheap pump... i Honestly do not remember, but it was not purchased locally and at the time i did not know about the large varying part and price/quality out there. I probably just thought i was "getting a Pump" at that time and that there was very little difference , one from the next.

As for the lines....

Does one take sturdy forceps to remove the oil feed tube from the inside of the tank? Is that how its done? I remember changing the pump itself... that was not too bad. I'd really like to get a high output pump.... this saw is a true menace to wood, and typically im doing firewood which is horrible for its drying effect.

After you remove the oil pump the rubber pickup line and filter will come out very easily, fingers most times or a set of needle nose pliers will pull it out no problem.

A few points.

You don’t need to split the case, the pickup line pulls right out once you remove the pump. It’s at the lower R side when you are looking at the Case/clutch area.

Pretty sure the pumps are made of Magnesium, like the saw case is. Found this out the hard way, when I tried to tig weld a stop on one. It doesn’t act like aluminum.

Sounds like you broke the stop on your oil pump. It’s still useable if you did. Max and min are in the same axis, either 0 or 90* as before, just need to be more careful.

The pumps rarely fail. Check the worm gear, the case pump to bar passage, the feed line, the bar inlet and the little gasket on the output side. If you neglected to put it in, you’ll have oil everywhere, but little on bar.

After you have repaired your saw and set the pump flow to max then dilute your chain/bar oil for more flow. I use either Hydraulic tractor fluid or automatic transmission fluid. 50/50

Ok. that's betty interesting about that seal. I have another saw a 272 that pukes oil all over the ground instead of the bar. This one however does not kick out much oil at all. Even when you have the bar and chain removed ... and you are looking at the output from the passageway... It's nothing. At this point though it's evident i need to replace the (likely) Chinese AM oiler i put in. Because i snapped the adj. screw... So I'll get those parts in a few days. Thanks so much for all the great help and pointers everyone! Wow. Shi impressed by that. :)

Latest posts

Back