Stihl 066 project

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raumati01

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I got a stihl 066 a month ago as a project, the guy said it had spark but it doesn't seem to. I replaced the pullstart line and inside around the flywheel is really filthy with caked on layers of grime. Would that stop it from sparking? I did put in a new sparkplug and once I get the spark issue sorted I'll take it to a mate of mine whos an outboard mechanic and do a compression and leakdown test.

Thanks in advance for any advice, I know there are other 066 threads but I thought I'd start my own to keep my questions and rants in one place.

Check the air gap between the flywheel and the coil while turning the flywheel should be about the width of a business card. Then confirm your plug wire is actually connected. There is a metal spiral connector the sometimes gets loose. You can pull the rubber boot back toward the coil and confirm connection.
How are you checking for spark. A simple circuit tester light will work. Ground it to cyl fins and check spark then check through spark plug and see the difference.
You can clean off the schputz around the recoil/ coil area with fantastic or any soapy stuff and a hose just block off the exhaust and intake if they are exposed.
What's your mechanical skills level ? Just so we are not talking "over" you

That's all good info thank you, I'm pretty new to two strokes but I used to work on my utes when they were carbs and points and not injection. Thanks for asking though, I'm not too proud to ask you to dumb it down if you are talking over me.

That's all good info thank you, I'm pretty new to two strokes but I used to work on my utes when they were carbs and points and not injection. Thanks for asking though, I'm not too proud to ask you to dumb it down if you are talking over me.

excellent, carbs and points...that puts you right at our speed. and you have some moderate tooling and understand you may have to buy or borrow a few more.
take some pics as well. we like pics. so we can follow along with you.
let us know how you do with the above. thanks Rory, I forgot about the shielding on the kill wires, another common fail.

oh and we like Guns too. !!!

I'm just getting back into hunting, that photo is with my son on his first hunting trip. No deer but we shot a pile of goats. Those are some very nice Winchesters, I've never heard of those calibers.

I'll clean it up tonight, it is suprisingly filthy . Hopefully cleaning and the tips you guys have posted sorts out the issue one way or the other.

After getting sidetracked with the 023 I went back to this and got the compressor to clean off the caked on layers of grime and then put a carb kit into it. I did have healthy spark with the new plug too, anyway I got a syringe and squirted some mix into the cylinder and some into the carb pressed the decomp and it fired on the third pull.
Seems to run pretty strong too, I scored a bar and chain in the weekend which will go on it and I'll give a deeper clean and then it'll be sold to fund some of my other CAD . I have two other 066s and and 064 the need attention, one of the 066s and the 064 have no decomp which should be fun.

Thanks for all the advice.

Gave it a bit of a run in the weekend, went well for a while and then stopped. A few drops of black liquid came out of the decomp, I'm think the oil tank is leaking into the bottom end?

Cheers will give that a go, I want to onsell it so I can regain some of my garage floor. The chainsaws appear to be breeding or something.

Latest posts

Back