Stihl 066 red light special too much compression

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryon

ArboristSite Lurker
I just inherited a 066 and cannot quite pull it over. I know the cylinder was fogged with oil for storage, do I need to clean it out to calm down the compression?

This thing has about broke my fingers trying to pull it over.

Dadatwins

Dadatwins

Addicted to ArboristSite
If the saw was fogged you should pull the plug and clean it off before trying to start it. While the plug is out pull the cord and make sure the saw is not seized. It should turn smooth and easy. The fogging oil puts a light coat of oil on the internals it should not affect compression that much. Now if someone filled the crankcase with oil that will be different.

heimannm
Ryon,

There are two ways to start a high compression/advanced ignition saw:

1) Loose fingers, this technique will allow the saw to rip the starter handle from your hands. It makes your fingers tingle, the saw rarely starts, but no permanent damage is done.

2) Git-r-done, solid grip on the handle, pull it up on compression, let the rope back in for a full rewind, then pull with authority.

I find it easier to start certain saws by placing them on the ground, putting a knee on top to hold them steady, then pull with the left arm while gripping the front handle of the saw in my right hand.

As my 066 continues to break in, I find this technique more and more necessary.

Mark

pioneerguy600

pioneerguy600

Lost in Space
Staff member
. AS Supporting Member.
I take it that your 066 does not have a compression release also. Mine does not and I have increased the comp to just a little over 180 lbs. but I can only start chainsaws by the drop start method and its a must to bring the piston as close to top dead center and then push the saw down as hard as you can while pulling up on the recoil, most times it will pull over but once in a while it will yank the starter handle from my hand . Has not hurt me yet but I have over 45 years of starting over 100 cc chainsaws and have learned from hard knocks.
Pioneerguy600

gink595

gink595

Addicted to ArboristSite
On this site most people are trying to achieve more compression. I think this is the the first thread I've read that was complaining about it:givebeer:

It must be nice to have your problems, I've had to pay for more compression on mine. Welcome to the site:)

Jacob J.
On this site most people are trying to achieve more compression. I think this is the the first thread I've read that was complaining about it

lol, I've still got Popeye forearms from wrestling with a Red-Light 066 on a landing when I was 19. I blew tendons out in both arms from that thing kicking back.

To alleviate the hard starting, the biggest favor you can for yourself is to swap out that CDIC rev-limited coil for a regular universal ignition.

superfire

superfire

Addicted to ArboristSite
what to much compression

heck that saw is a piece of cake. now you want to try some fun i have old mac 1-80 gear drive, she bites your arm off every time ya go to start her:clap:

ol'homey

ol'homey

ArboristSite Operative
Mark, how do you start that thing, seriously? I've got a 1-72 with a right hand starter just like your 1-85. Your left hand has got to go on the throttle and choke, while you're pulling with your right. I've been getting behind the saw with both knees on the ground. But I think next time I'll try putting my left knee on top to try and hold it down better.

RiverRat2

RiverRat2

Serio Tree Freak
Andy!!!!!!

..and.. put an Elastostart on it. If any saw needs it, it's an 064. Nasty trendency to bite you.

He said it was A Redlight 066,,,,,,,??????????

Where did the 064 come from???????:bang::bang:

I'm cornfused :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Are you sure your on the right tred????????

How many walking Man IPA's you had today,,,,

Oh thats right your still @ the saw shop today??????

LOLOL!!!! I snuck out when I got a chance!!!!!!! LOLOLOL!!!!

heimannm
ol'homey - I like to lay the saw over a log, or on the work bench to start it.

You are correct, hold the saw with the left hand, working the throttle and choke, and pull with the right hand.

My 740 has the same layout, and is the worst offender in terms of yanking the starter out of your hand. Maybe I need to go back in and check the point gap to make sure it's not advanced too far.

Mark

pioneerguy600

pioneerguy600

Lost in Space
Staff member
. AS Supporting Member.
Jerry, no compression release on my 066. Really didn't need it before I put the new piston and rings in, and I didn't think it needed it after...at first.

Now with 4-6 tanks through it, I find I have to be mentally prepared to give it a pull. It does start pretty nicely and runs well too.

Mark

Mark, have you shaved your base 10 thou and run without a gasket, milled 12 thou off the piston shoulder and and reduced your squish to 19 thou. With that and some porting to allow for the cylinder drop my saw is just getting broke in and is getting progressively harder to pull over cold. I don`t know how to start a chainsaw any other way than drop starting my way, even then the 180 psi comp. gets me sometimes but I have instinctively programmed my hand to let go at some predetermined time to avoid getting my fingers slammed. All I can chalk it up to is my experience with starting 100 + cc chainsaws for over 45 years.
Pioneerguy600

Ryon

ArboristSite Lurker
I will grow some

Thanks for all the responses. What a great community!

Before I grow some, I will pull the plug and rinse out the cylinder with some mix to get the oil out.

Perhaps I'll have me a couple of shots of Irish whiskey and have my way with the 066. Then I try and start it.:hmm3grin2orange:

RiverRat2

RiverRat2

Serio Tree Freak
Thanks for all the responses. What a great community!

Before I grow some, I will pull the plug and rinse out the cylinder with some mix to get the oil out.

Perhaps I'll have me a couple of shots of Irish whiskey and have my way with the 066. Then I try and start it.:hmm3grin2orange:

Michael Collins,,,,Jameson,,,, Tullamore Dew,,, in that order!!!!! LOLOL!!!!

Latest posts