Stihl 066 "red light"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, learned somethign new :)

Wasn't interested in it, just doing the dail C/L search and saw the tag... Already have my 660, can't justify 2 saws that size :)

dw

The ignition modules tend to shift the max rpm lower with age, smaller crankshaft on flywheel side, heavier aluminum flywheel.

Here is my 066 Flat Top Red Light.

Naturally the crankcase has been changed to a later model with the bigger crank and the poly flywheel.

There is no compression release and the red light coil unit was changed out.

The red light originally came on when the coil was in limiting mode at high rpm.

attachment.php

Here is my 066 Flat Top Red Light.

Naturally the crankcase has been changed to a later model with the bigger crank and the poly flywheel.

There is no compression release and the red light coil unit was changed out.

The red light originally came on when the coil was in limiting mode at high rpm.

attachment.php

Just picked up an 066 Flat Top, how do you tell if it is a red light?

I guess I better do a little more digging tonight. If the saw rev's fine is there any real reason to swap out the red light ignition?

"If it aint broke....dont fix it"

Or you can look at it the other way......"If it aint broke...you aint tryin hard enough"!

Seriously though...I would leave it alone until it gives you reason to change it.

My 066 Red Light, as I understand it. was originally ported and set up, as it is, by Brent Combs. Later it belonged to ECsaws and then Cut4fun (fellow Ohio guys) before I owned it. It runs real good for the woods but is no longer competitive as a 32" cookie cutter as it has no pop up.

A all original red light with the aluminum flywheel has the potential of twisting the crank if there is a sudden stoppage like hitting a big spike or something. Latter on, they increased the size of the crank journals and added the poly flywheel to keep the problem at bay.

The original red light coil was not very long lived electronically and was replaced with a unlimited coil so it is unlikely that the red light itself still works if you happen to have a 066 Red Light.

There is no compression release on my 066 or even a place to put one. There's not even a hole in the top cover for it.

That is the reason for the the 460 rescue starter handle. With a firm grip on the handle and good determination, it is readily started - No problem

The 066 Flat Tops impress one as being smaller and lighter than the last crown topped 066's or the 660's with twist caps and then the flippy cap types. Actually, there's not much difference in weight.

OMR, I see your flat top has the wide chain cover from pthe wrap version.

Latest posts

Back