Stihl 070 gutless wonder with 36" bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well fellas. couple things. First, not as easy as meets the eye disconnecting the governor and/or linkage. Easy to disconnect, once you disconnect linkage, there is no spring to return choke to off position so choke (butterfly) just flutters in the air. So position is not controlled by anything so full, half, 1/3, 2/3 choke could occur at any given time. Also, my 090 cylinder showed up so i pulled off 070 cylinder and there is no way the 090 cylinder will fit on the 070. Cylinder on 070 has 2 additional ports and cannot possibly be interchanged with the 090 cylinder. Unless i am totally missing something, See below pics

070 cylinder on right. 090 cylinder on left

Attachments

• DC860355-96B3-4AFB-B33F-93F21DF329C4.jpeg
    DC860355-96B3-4AFB-B33F-93F21DF329C4.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 3
  • 096F1203-1D8C-4311-B6A7-BEF24A7BCF34.jpeg
    096F1203-1D8C-4311-B6A7-BEF24A7BCF34.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 2
  • F18E61A2-5DC1-4870-852C-4BF230B7ACB8.jpeg
    F18E61A2-5DC1-4870-852C-4BF230B7ACB8.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 2
I’m keeping an eye on this bc I want to do the same this at some point just mainly as a status saw and I’d like to compare a 070 to a pioneer super 620.

Boy that is a big ol cylinder on the 090.

I think the proper way to disable the governor on the 070/090 is to wrap the tension spring on the air vane one more turn and then secure back into the air vane again.

I was under the impression the 090 cylinder would be a direct bolt on to the 070...so something is amiss with your new parts. I have never taken my 090 to give you any pointers, but hopefully someone will clear the air.

Or remove the air vane. It’s just two tiny screws after removal of the starter. Winding it up like that destroys the springs tension and it will require replacement if you ever want it to work again.
I think the proper way to disable the governor on the 070/090 is to wrap the tension spring on the air vane one more turn and then secure back into the air vane again.

Or remove the air vane. It’s just two tiny screws after removal of the starter. Winding it up like that destroys the springs tension and it will require replacement if you ever want it to work again.

See I knew someone would come along that new more obvious solutions than mine...:numberone:

I have never installed the 66 mm cylinder on an 070 so what I have to say are from observations, not experience. The 070 is obviously an open port cylinder. Your 66 mm cylinder is not. If the thing slides in and bolts up it should work. You’re just covering up the relieved areas in the crank case with the 090 cylinder flange. It’ll breath like it should, just looks different. That’s how I THINK it should work. Heck, put it on and bolt it up. If it won’t fit and the holes don’t line up you’ll have to punt.
Figure out what’s wrong.

It definitely will not bolt on. The cylinder bore protruding out on the 090 cylinder will not fit into the 070 crankcase bore. It is an impossible fit. This is the second one i have tried. I figured first one may have been bad luck. Now with 2 that dont fit, i am assuming that it is not a direct fit converting to a 090 from a 070. i did remove linkage by doing some slight modification. Haven't tried it yet, but if it works i have a easy fix for you all. I will send pics AFTER I TEST!!!!!

I'm guessing the Chinese 070 is not an identical copy of a real 070. That may be the issue with the open port crankcase and bolt pattern not accepting a 090 cylinder.

Well fellas, as i mentioned before, i disconnected the governor and wood tested yesterday. Made a little difference but not enough for me to want to keep it. i am very disappointed in the power. Anyone interested in buying it? its a chinese 070. Looks close to new. I paid 350.00 for it so i would like to get that back plus shipping

.............................. i am very disappointed in the power. Anyone interested in buying it? its a chinese 070. Looks close to new. I paid 350.00 for it so i would like to get that back plus shipping
Well with all due respect that is a pretty tall order although I understand the desire to not lose money as nobody does. Probably going to be a tough sell here though after the thread and your complaints about it. I have seen guys use the heck out of the blue 372's though and sell them for what they paid

I did do a build thread on one of these. I bought it brand new off Craigslist for 60.00$ after the Previous owner broke the rings on installment.
It did take a little work to get it running like a strong 088 but if your interested in keeping it, (which might be easier than selling ) I'd be happy to share with you what I did.

Latest posts

Back