Stihl 076 Starter recoil issues

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gab250

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
G'day, I've got a big old Stihl 076 chainsaw that I'm trying to fix up, but the recoil doesn't always engage, it sometimes does, but usually it doesn't catch the flywheel, I have lubricated the little pawl thing, but it rarely ever catches the flywheel, what can I do about it?, the whole recoil assembly is mounted nice and tight to the saw, so it's not that.

Cheers, Gab

check to see if the plastic inner drum is worn away if you have that style, if not
the 2 pawls that catch the flywheel get dull on the contact edges and skip over where they
should grab the flywheel .file the pawls sharp where they need it and they will grab again

Clean the oil off the friction washers.

Everyone does that (oils them) but that's exactly what NOT to do.

Pawl/dog should extend with about a quarter turn of the pulley.
384575f7599ecd2eda706f0f180974b4.jpg

63a0479830519bfb998195374085018c.jpg

The ring that the pawls catch on can be worn to the point that will not work. There should be some rings on ebay. There are two different type rings. One is called a starter cup part number 1111 195 4100. The other is called a ring part number 1111 195 9300. Sometimes sharpening the pawls will help. Be sure to maintain the existing angle and do not sharpening to a knife edge, put a 1/32 radius on it. Another thing that I have found to work sometime is to put the rewind on, run the screws down, but do not tighten. Move the rewind until you find a spot where the pawls catch consistently then tighten the screws. Tom

Back