Stihl 076av for milling?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charlieh

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi

i know where there is reasonable 076 about to be offered for sale, I am interested in upgrading from my 372xp for milling:deadhorse: , so are they any good on an alaskan mill? i have read some threads that say people like them but would appreciate comments from anyone that has used them

Cheers

Charlie

stihl 076 chain brake

hi can anyone help i am in the uk and cannot seem to find a brake band for my stihl 076 and i do not want to sell it without the brake in working order,thanks ian

I don't think you'll find many saws out there better suited to milling!

+2

old torquer:)

Only drawback are the fuel and oil caps in the top. You can't refuel in the cut but you won't need that unless you're milling really long, wide and/or hard wood.

+3...what a tank. I didn't buy one because the owner wanted stupid money...nearly twice what I ended up paying for my 066.

Mark

+4 roger! :cheers:

As a stand alone saw their AV is not the best comparing to like an 066/660 , but on a mill AV is not an issue.

i cannot make any headway on how to find parts on that site so i mailed them hopefully they will reply i also have found how many of the 076s are still in use are they as good as people say if they are it may be worth keeping,thanks again ian

mine is on ebay but there is another on which i have seen mine is the one with the piece missing out of the clutch cover i do deal in a few saws but do not have a dealership we supply more consumeables than saws firewood is big business in the uk at present because of rising fuel prices

i cannot make any headway on how to find parts on that site so i mailed them hopefully they will reply i also have found how many of the 076s are still in use are they as good as people say if they are it may be worth keeping,thanks again ian

Yes they're very good saws. Will do all a an 880 or 3120 will, but with more vibes and noise.

Any Stihl dealer will supply all the parts you need.

wow i have one new got it in the 80s maybe 100 hrs on it Wat it worth have 35 other saws love my o84s ect tom trees

the first stihl dealer i tried said parts are no longer available so asked another dealer he says no problem so brake band is now on its way to me

the first stihl dealer i tried said parts are no longer available
well he's obviously a moron and/or can't be bothered checking with stihl. He just thought old saw piss off. What a c0ck hate dealing with that sort.
Glad you got the part ordered though, parts should be available for a while yet.

Yes they're very good saws. Will do all a an 880 or 3120 will, but with more vibes and noise.

Hum . . . . Now that I finally have the hang of the 880, plus I've had a real good go with a 3120, I don't this the 076 matches either of these saw and it's not just noise and vibe. I've modded my 880 muffler anyway so it maybe a little louder and the 880 probably sets up more noise/vibe on the mill probably because it has more higher frequency vibe but vibe is not an issue for either.

Apart from sheer cutting speed, the 880 also has a number of practical functional features like inboard clutch, can completely fill fuel tank mid slab, more oil delivery capacity etc, that just make it easier to use and service.

DOn;t get me wrong, the 076 is still a real fun saw to use, but if milling wood fast is the main game for me it runs a definite 3rd out of those 3 saws.

Last edited:

i did not realise there were this many of these saws still in use they were made to last i think they still be about for many years proper mans saw it took me ages to find the decompresser it hurt my hands a few times until i found it

i did not realise there were this many of these saws still in use they were made to last i think they still be about for many years proper mans saw it took me ages to find the decompresser it hurt my hands a few times until i found it

They sure were made to last. I love starting mine without the decomp valve, it gives me a great sense of satisfaction that I can start that sucker after 2 or 3 pulls every time even with a bung shoulder and no decomp.

They sure were made to last. I love starting mine without the decomp valve, it gives me a great sense of satisfaction that I can start that sucker after 2 or 3 pulls every time even with a bung shoulder and no decomp.

i think you must be a braver man or much bigger man than me i just cannot start mine without the decomp

Latest posts

Back