stihl 084 mixture seting anyone know

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingcole1111

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
i just replaced pistion and cyl gasget and all hoses now it starts but dies as soon as i let go of trigger maybe i bumped the settings

As it's a new piston cyl you'll need to run (5- 10 tanks) .
quote from owners manual
'When the engine is set at the factory the engine is set to obtain a slightly richer mixture to ensure that the cyl bore an bearings receive a slightly richer mix.
Screw all screws in then HS ( high speed )back off one turn
Back off L low speed one full turn
Turn idle speed LA screw clockwise until chain begins to turn then back off a 1/4 turn.
If your setting symbols have worn off LA is at the top of the triangle.H is on the left of bottom of triangle.....
The run period varies a little 5-10 tanks approx ......you'll notice when engine kicks in a bit more / runs smother -sound.Will be noticeable.
When shes run in do the settings again.Turn all screws in then L and H one out.LA then out till chain spins then back off again till chain stops turning.
Let us all hear how she goes.Contemplate getting a tach.

- good luck

Last edited:
Can you please clarify this? Only a 1/4 turn should be way lean.

Oops .I have a red face.

Quote...correction ...when the engine is tested at the factory the carburetor is set to obtain a slightly richer mixture to ensure that the cylinder bore and the bearings receive additional lube during the break in period .........

Apologies KINGY no more than a quarter turn AFTER shes run in.

thanks BRAD .....will go back to my coloring in book :greenchainsaw:

The one turn out is only a starting point. You need to set it with a tach. If it's limited you need to use the appropriate proceedure that I don't have. I think you misunderstood. Don't set it at 1/4 turn after break in. He said don't turn in more than 1/4 from one full turn out, ie 3/4 turn.

Back