Stihl 084 rebuild options

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

torch

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I recently rebuilt an MS360 that was gifted to me after the dealer botched it. I was showing it off to the P.O. and he mentioned that he has an 084 "with the same problem", offering it to me. He's not particularly mechanical, so Lord knows what that actually means! But I'm toying with taking him up on the offer of another "free" saw...

I have now rebuilt 3 saws with Meteor cylinder kits, which I first tried based on recommendations from this forum. They do seem to be OEM quality and performance. But it seems Meteor does not make a cylinder for the 084. Google reveals a company called Cross Performance makes a nikasil cylinder kit for the 084. Comes with Caber rings (which are owned by Meteor), but I can't seem to find a manufacturer's website anywhere, so I suspect they may be a Chinese badge brand.

Looking for actual experience with that brand cylinder kit on that model saw, I came across a post on a different forum that concluded "Firstly I will say that the quality is very good. It woult [sic] work perfectly as a mildly ported bolt on option if your toasted your 084 and would work well. Its fits and bolts on with no issues at all." The poster seemed to have some experience building performance saws. However, he elected not to use the CP kit, opting to port an OEM cylinder instead, and put it on a shelf untested.

I came across another thread on a different forum wherein an owner who had never rebuilt a chainsaw used the Cross Performance 084 kit and the saw grenaded during the first run. He posted some pictures showing damage but it's not clear if the broken piston bits were the cause or the result of something else. The thread dies before he ever took the bottom end apart.

How about it, has anyone tried this kit and if so, what's the good, the bad and the ugly?

Well 50 units without complaint sounds like a pretty solid endorsement. Thanks!

In the end, it seems to have turned out well. I went through 2 kits though.

I have to say that I do not believe it was a fault with the first kit. I believe it was a defective compression gauge. The valve in the end of the hose came apart and a piece fell down into the engine when I was checking the initial compression on assembly. The kit didn't last long with a chunk of metal bouncing around in the cylinder and the saw died after a couple of cuts.

The second attempt was fine. The saw runs strong and very responsive to the throttle. Squish is set to 0.027", mix is 40:1, high speed adjusted to 12,300rpm. I still haven't replaced my compression gauge, but believe it to be 140psi or higher.

Back