Stihl 090 - Removing bar plate on clutch cover

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

omega_supreme

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Over the years I have been able to find many solutions to my chainsaw related problems/questions by reading the forums. However, for this 'problem' I have not been able to find an answer yet. So here it goes:

Can anyone tell me if it's possible to safely remove (without breaking anything) the outer bar plate on the clutch cover of the Stihl 090?

It looks like it is secured with rivets an I fear something will break if I try to pry it off. But perhaps it'll come of easily... hard to tell. I could only find information about the inner plate which is fastened by the bar studs.

A picture is attached to make clear what part exactly I mean:

View attachment 269585

2 Rivets, you just knock them threw (out) with a small screwdriver or something that fits in the holes ...2 holes on the outside of the cover,

attachment.php

Just wondering out loud. Why are you removing it??

I want to clean the saw thoroughly and there is quite a bit of the typical chainsaw gunk (sawdust and oil) behind the bar plate. Plus it's a bit rusty and prefereably I want to treat only the plate so I spare as much of the original paint as possible.

Interesting picture. My cluctch cover doesn't have the two holes. I notice you have the newer model 090 though (mine is a pretty old model, still uses some contra parts I think). I guess Still added the holes later for some reason (convenience?).

I want to clean the saw thoroughly and there is quite a bit of the typical chainsaw gung (sawdust and oil) behind that bar plate. Plus it's a bit rusty and I'd like to treat just the plate to spare the original paint on the cover.

That's an interesting picture. My clutch cover doesn't have those holes. I notice you have the newer model 090 though. Mine is an old model (still uses some contra parts I believe). I guess Stihl added those holes later for some reason (convenience?)

I want to clean the saw thoroughly and there is quite a bit of the typical chainsaw gung (sawdust and oil) behind that bar plate. Plus it's a bit rusty and I'd like to treat just the plate to spare the original paint on the cover.

That's an interesting picture. My clutch cover doesn't have those holes. I notice you have the newer model 090 though. Mine is an old model (still uses some contra parts I believe). I guess Stihl added those holes later for some reason (convenience?

Back