Stihl 090

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cut4fun

Faster is Better
Reaction score
I found this Stihl 090, I think he said something about Lighting also?
So how much are these worth? I really dont need it or have a use for it, but the money seems right. I can pick this one up for around $300.

What kinda shape is it in Kevin? Does it run?

To tell you the truth, I didnt really even ask about the dang 090.
I was to busy talking about the race saws he had for sale that ran on Alky.

Then it occurred to me today I should have ask more about the 090. Might check back after the Holidays and might even put it back if he still has it in a few days, just as a trading tool.

Cut, judging by the pic, I don't think it's a 090, but a Contra Lightning. Also a very nice saw, but quite common on this site of the pond.
Don't know the value in the US, but over here, they can be had at 200 $ approx.

nice collector saw anyway.

belgian, I enlarged the pic and tried to make it clearer, so you guys in the know might know what it is. I haven't a clue, just what I was told above in first post.

Looking at other saws on my search. It appears to be a lighting like belgian said and not a 090. The lighting was replaced by the 070 in my findings. 106 cc's.

Will ask the owner later in the week more about it.

Lightning's are one of the desireable 090 collecting saws (rarer). I've seen them sell often for $500 to $1000. Condition is always important...

Belgian: you need to start collecting and exporting... seriously..

Last edited:
It looks like it has a Lightning/Contra cover and a 070/090 rear handle. It also looks like ot has the Lightning/Contra jug. The supers were 137cc while the others were 106cc. I have most versions here.

Bill

It looks like it has a Lightning/Contra cover and a 070/090 rear handle. It also looks like ot has the Lightning/Contra jug. The supers were 137cc while the others were 106cc. I have most versions here.

Bill

Bill,

How can you tell which jug it has? Does the top plastic cover look to be split open at the back to you?

Bill,

How can you tell which jug it has? Does the top plastic cover look to be split open at the back to you?

Dan,

The saw has the plug coming out the front right hand side like the Contra and Lightning saws. The 070 and 090 had the plug out the top. I am not sure if there were differences at the switch over. As for the cover yes it looks odd.

Bill

here's a pic of a "regular" contra or contra lightning as it was called in the states. The rear handle is indeed different as Bill said, but I checked on a german site and there's a late contra model with a newer (070) style gas handle, as shown in C4F pic. So I am quite positive it's a contra lightning.

ps. the contra lightning s (or super) was standard delivered in AV version with the top parallel bar.

attachment.php

Last edited:
I see what Bill means about the rear handle. Yours and mine are the same, but different to the one shown earlier.

Mine has had the starter replaced with a new 070/090 part. It's in a box in bits awaiting restoration at the moment, but I'd like to find an original starter for it eventually.

contra01.jpg

I am going to wait till after Christmas to talk to the guy again.
I will see if the tag has a S after the numbers on it then or if the topend has been changed etc.
Like I said I was not interested in the saw. But may pick up for trading material or ebay it.

I'd agree with the others - it's a Contra, and I think a few parts have been replaced with newer items. The starter looks like an 070/090 part, and the handle also looks later.

It could possibly be an 070 with a Contra jug and shroud, but that would be a strange modification to make (unless you had the parts kicking around and a blown 070).

Belgian is about on the money for prices - you can easily get a ratty one for $200, and a good runner for $300. 070s go for about the same - possibly a bit more, and 090s for $700 - $800 in good condition.

Well I am going to try to post some pics that will show some differences.

The first picture will show the different spark plug orientation.

The second picture will show a Lightning/Contra I used to own with the older handle.

The third picture will show a Lightning/Contra that I dug out tonight. It has the 070/090 handle design.

The last picture will show a 070

The third picture shows a combo that looks like what Cut4Fun is looking at

When I get time I am going to look at the port differences.

Bill

In the interests of market research, I have been watching an 070 on UK ebay, and (again in the interests of providing reliable information on this thread), bought it for $230. Apparently it works, it just looks very shabby - I've bought stuff off this guy before, and he is reliable, so I don't expect it to be a wreck. I agree that $230 is a lot to spend on a very old saw...but over here $230 would fill my car with petrol about 1 and a quarter times.

So, you can all thank me for buying this saw just so that you could be told the real price in the UK. That's the excuse I'm using for the wife anyway. :)

Happy Christmas...!

Back