Stihl 090

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the interests of market research, I have been watching an 070 on UK ebay, and (again in the interests of providing reliable information on this thread), bought it for $230. Apparently it works, it just looks very shabby - I've bought stuff off this guy before, and he is reliable, so I don't expect it to be a wreck. I agree that $230 is a lot to spend on a very old saw...but over here $230 would fill my car with petrol about 1 and a quarter times.

So, you can all thank me for buying this saw just so that you could be told the real price in the UK. That's the excuse I'm using for the wife anyway. :)

Happy Christmas...!

Ah, that was you was it, you little tinker :mad:

Can't say I blame him for selling, he must have been getting a bit twitchy at less than £20 with less than a day to go.

Good luck with the relic.

No, it wasn't me that got him to pull the auction. Apparently he found a problem with the starter mechanism, so he pulled it himself. I mailed him and made him an offer. For a moment I thought I'd missed the end of the auction and I'd let an 070 go for £20!!!

If we're going to bid for the same sort of stuff, then we should probably have a gentleman's agreement on who gets what! :cheers:

I just seen Bill sale a 070 PHO that needs work yesterday over here for $425 + shipping.

Also if the Lighting turns out to be saw I dont buy in the start of this post.

I will start with the first person that PM'ed me yesterday with interest in it and give them the phone number to the guy with the saw till somebody buys it. If I decide not to.
The saw was $325 + shipping.

Last edited:
I just seen Bill sale a 070 PHO that needs work yesterday over here for $425 + shipping.

Well that is not quite true as shipping was included and it is not sold yet. Also what is PHO? I guess I am not up on my internet lingo. I know POS not PHO.

Bill

Here are a few different jugs I dug out.

The upper left is a new 58mm 070 jug and piston. In the lower left is a new 58mm Contra/Lightning jug. The others in the middle and right top row are 66mm 090 used jug and pistons. The bottom row middle is a Contra Super 66mm and the far bottom left is a new Contra/Lightning Super jug and piston 66mm.

Bill

Talked to the guy again today. He said he couldn't find the tag that would have the numbers and letter S to show if it was a 137cc or not. Where is this tag (beside muffler on recoil side)? Just trying to see if it is a 106cc or 137cc ahead of time.

Don't know about the tag, but the quick method is to pull off the muffler (two bolts and a screw) and put the tail of a set of cailpers in to measure the bore. 66mm = 137cc, 58mm = 106cc. Takes about 5 minutes. I don't know about the Lightning Super, but the 090 also has the 6 piece clutch which is instantly visible when you have the sprocket cover off.

Last edited:
Don't know about the tag, but the quick method is to pull off the muffler (two bolts and a screw) and put the tail of a set of cailpers in to measure the bore. 66mm = 137cc, 58mm = 106cc. Takes about 5 minutes. I don't know about the Lightning Super, but the 090 also has the 6 piece clutch which is instantly visible when you have the sprocket cover off.

Just checked mine and it's a 58 mm :cry: Not that I ever thought it was anything more than 106cc but it would have been nice... On the plus side the P&C look pretty good for such an old saw (first time I've taken a proper look) No exhaust gasket though.

Back