STIHL 192 or echo 330t? Stihl br420 or 600?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

josh1981

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I am doing some research to start my own lawn service. Just about done research part but not sure which saw and blower to get.

I allready have a ms361 and 066 MAG.

looking at top handle saws..

stihl 192 or echo 330t.

the stihl is only 40 dollars or a little more difference in price. Walk into dealership. get parts. and help. Same with echo, but not as good.

weight and power are close. both built for pro use. dealership for both...

what one do you all recommend? Im a stihl guy but echo is good also.

ALso blower- br420 or 600? I know 420 is older but proven reliable. 600 is newer but have heard of quite a few problems. Did they fix them now?

Thanks for any help.

Josh

I am doing some research to start my own lawn service. Just about done research part but not sure which saw and blower to get.

I allready have a ms361 and 066 MAG.

looking at top handle saws..

stihl 192 or echo 330t.

the stihl is only 40 dollars or a little more difference in price. Walk into dealership. get parts. and help. Same with echo, but not as good.

weight and power are close. both built for pro use. dealership for both...

what one do you all recommend? Im a stihl guy but echo is good also.

ALso blower- br420 or 600? I know 420 is older but proven reliable. 600 is newer but have heard of quite a few problems. Did they fix them now?

Thanks for any help.

Josh

The best value top handle on the market IMHO is the Dolmar 3410.

The best blowers on the market are made by Shindaiwa. IMHO they have the best quality and the EB802 has a two cycle engine, so they're simple and have no valve train.

get the Stihl 192.

I'm not a Stihl fanboy but the 192 is a great saw for the money. been running one for three years with no problem whatsoever. Get the dealer to put the yellow chain on it. Green chain sucks.

I have the Husqvana t435 and I like it also. The Echo is gutless and the chain adjuster is a joke.

Redmax/Husqvarna blowers. The best there is!

Several years ago I bought a good used 200t instead of a new 192 and never looked back. Certainly recommend a 200t if you are doing removals. The 192 is great for prunning and light tasks, but is a homeowner saw. There is a reason most professional arborist pay a premium for a 200t and avoid the cheaper 192 or Echo 360T.

I also have a BR600 and have been very satisfied with the 4 mix motor. Lightest blower in it's class and has been very reliable. Also agree the Shindiawa EB802 is a great machine if you prefer a 2 cycle blower.

Last edited:
I have a Shindaiwa 326T for my top handle and it is supposed to be their version of Echo's 330T and it does not stand up to my 192 in build quality, speed and frankly, it handles like a football. I just don't like it and it sits a lot in favor of the 192c despite it being a rear handle and because it's so light I have no issue using it as one. Given one or the other only, the 192 wins hands down, and I'm more of an Echo fan than a Stihl fan. I use the 326 on steep hillsides thinning small brush with the notion that if I did drop it and it rolled downhill, I would not even feel bad about not going down to retrieve it! I do see on Echo's website though, they have a new toppy out that weighs I *think* 6.6 lbs.

I've had a BR600 for 5-6 years. I have had no trouble with it at all. This thing will get run for 6-8 hours a day sometimes. It has a ton of power. I would find a used 200t. The 192 is half the money because it's half the saw.

Scott

Last edited:
The 192 is nothing more than a 180, complete with it's weak construction and stamped steel rod. I won't own one.

Do you take good care of your equipment? If so, the 600 is a great blower. Just don't neglect to use the right oil in it and keep the valves adjusted every 50 hours or so. +1 on the Shiny blowers. I have a 802 and LOVE it. Simple pro 2-stroke construction and there have never been issues with the model.

I'd buy a BR420 over the 600 any day. Valves are for toilets not leaf blowers. I'd also recommend a good used MS200T over the 192 if You can find one.

neither saw is built for 'pro' use. They are labeled as such but they have el cheapo consumer saw quality.

Get a BR600 blower. The Stihl 4 mix engines are things of beauty and run very well.

Don't buy a Shindaiwa or a Dolmar if you are using them for a living and don't have a local shop. You're getting advice from guys that buy this stuff for fun, not to use for a living

I know you have the 192T and 330T listed, but if you can afford a 200T it would be a good investment. Looking at the saws you have it would fit right in, I'm not a Stihl zealot but the 200t would be worth the cost.

Eventually you will want a reliable backup, strange things can happen to saws. It's so much faster to grab another saw, even though it may cut it a few seconds slower, than make a parts run. It goes without saying, you can't just leave a tree or limb in a compromised position, once you start cutting it needs to be finished regardless of what has happened to your main saw. A backup is worth its weight in gold when you need it.

Of the choices listed the 330T would be a good backup, I've only ran a modded version a few times and it did pretty well, not sure what they are like stock. We have a few small top echo's that are used as backups and they have been hammered on, but keep going. Those little crappy backup Echo's have saved my arse a few times, sometimes co-workers are your worst enemy after you come back from vacation. Did I say backup, some guys can break a rock by staring at it and thats where I'm at.

That's my two cents, In my area Stihl has 3 good dealers within 10 minutes; Echo has one dealer within 10 minutes that's very good.

I wish you good luck on your venture, just make the choice that fits your situation and gut instinct the best. But think think backup saws also.

Last edited:
The 600 has had a fuel issue that has been resolved. Its power is very well proven excellent blower. Buy the 192 power per price but the 200 is mac daddy in the industry for the climbing pro. Use Stihl Ultra oil increased life and power will result.

neither saw is built for 'pro' use. They are labeled as such but they have el cheapo consumer saw quality.

Get a BR600 blower. The Stihl 4 mix engines are things of beauty and run very well.

Don't buy a Shindaiwa or a Dolmar if you are using them for a living and don't have a local shop. You're getting advice from guys that buy this stuff for fun, not to use for a living

Bull ####! How many blown BR600 have you seen? my local Stihl dealer doesn't even like them.The BR600 is a POS and has been from day 1 and this is coming from a guy who loves his 110 trimmer. Fact is the BR600 has never been a good blower and never will be. The Dolmar saws are as good as Stihl or better. Remember sometimes brand sells more than the product preforms.

Last edited:
Bull ####! How many blown BR600 have you seen? my local Stihl dealer doesn't even like them.The BR600 is a POS and has been from day 1 and this is coming from a guy who loves his 110 trimmer. Fact is the BR600 has never been a good blower and never will be. The Dolmar saws are as good as Stihl or better. Remember sometimes brand sells more than the product preforms.

Don't hold back Andre!
Tell it ALL!LOL

Mike

I had a br600 before. 3 yrs old mostly used in the fall 3 months max. Used high stihl oil shell gas. Kept maintained to high standard. Got running funny. Ignition messed up. 500 bucks spent for that? Not cool.

Was hoping they were fixed right now. Apparently not. This blower is out. No offense to anyone who recommended it. Just not gonna spend 500 on problems again

Ms211 361 066 fs90r km110r bg86 sh85 hs45 all great never had problems. All maintained to highest standards. 89 shell gas. High stihl oil.

Br420 high on list. So is 192t

Any good echo blowers out there?

I had a br600 before. 3 yrs old mostly used in the fall 3 months max. Used high stihl oil shell gas. Kept maintained to high standard. Got running funny. Ignition messed up. 500 bucks spent for that? Not cool.

Was hoping they were fixed right now. Apparently not. This blower is out. No offense to anyone who recommended it. Just not gonna spend 500 on problems again

Ms211 361 066 fs90r km110r bg86 sh85 hs45 all great never had problems. All maintained to highest standards. 89 shell gas. High stihl oil.

Br420 high on list. So is 192t

Any good echo blowers out there?

The echo BP-770 is a great blower. When it comes to all out quality the Shin blowers are tops, it's not even a question to me anymore, if you want the best blower by a Shindaiwa.

I have several stihl saws and I love all of them, however they're often equal or better options out there for less money. Put your heads in the sand all you want guys, but Stihl isn't the only player in OPE.

I'm not a blower kind of guy.
But Dolmar has a couple that I saw recently at an open house that I would have to look real hard at if I were in that market!

Mike

The BR600 has a plastic camshaft. There is no place for a cam and valves on a blower/trimmer/chainsaw (or dirt bike for that matter but that's a whole 'nother topic), but if there was I certainly wouldn't want one made of plastic. Nuff said.

why woulde they use a plastic camshaft to let air and fuel in and exhaust out? thats just stupid and ajust the valves every 50 hrs...

now I know why my br600 failed and it wasnt anything I did.

Wish I had known before. Would of never bought the POS and I am a stihl guy too

Will look at shindy and echo blowers also...

thanks

Latest posts

Back