Stihl 2 in 1 filing guide

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've seen one person on here that used it. They said it was great for them and good enough to not use their other guides. It was not as good a file job but easier and faster for them. Only problem was it was made only for one size and would not work on skip chain. Personally I like a husqvarna guide or no guide for quick touch up

I'm using Stihl's 2 in 1 file, makes life easier. Saves me a ton of time when i'm out in the field. You can get them in different sizes. 4 mm, 4.8mm, 3/8, 0.325 and so on. With the 2 in 1 file you will always have razor sharp chains. Theres one thing worth noting when using the file. When the chain is 50% worn, you may want to remove the flatfile every now and then. It has a tendency to make it a bit too aggresive when the chain is worn.

They may work OK for a quick touch-up in the woods, but hardly better than just a suitable round file. You don't need to file the rakers at every touch-up, unless they are on the high side to start with.
The rakers likely never will become quite right with a set-up like that - but it will be better than not filing them at all....

Made by Pferd, and may be less expensive* in blue. http://www.baileysonline.com/Chains...ries/Chain-Filing-Guides/Pferd-Filing-Guides/

As noted, a lot of people like them.

Philbert

EDIT: * Retail prices may be similar - but more likely to find a Pferd product on sale or discounted than a STIHL product.

Likely because they don't know any better - there is absolutely no chance that it it is a good tool for chain maintenance over time, but it may have some merit as an emergency tool.....

Likely because they don't know any better - there is absolutely no chance that it it is a good tool for chain maintenance over time, but it may have some merit as an emergency tool.....
Come on Niko. Different strokes for different folks!

If it works for these guys, it is better than trying to cut with a dull chain, or having to take the chain into the dealer each time.

Philbert

Come on Niko. Different strokes for different folks!

If it works for these guys, it is better than trying to cut with a dull chain, or having to take the chain into the dealer each time.

Philbert
Yes, no doubt - but the downside is that they may never care to learn how to do it properly.

The sad part is Sawtroll and Philbert are both 100% correct. On one hand a sharp chain is good for everyone. On the other, you misplace a guide your done cutting till you get new chain or replacement guide. I bought a more expensive guide and hated it. I ended up getting better for me results just practicing with a file. The husqvarna style guide is perfect for me. Just steadies my hand enough to stay consistent

I believe the tool is designed specifically for me with a 40+ hour work week, that has strived to learn to do it properly when I can, but try as I might, may not be the artist that some are. The PFERD CS-X gave me consistency in angles & raker height in less than 10 minutes for 20 inch loop than I've gotten by using a cheap grinder and files for both cutters and rakers in 30 minutes. Put the saw in a vice, turn on the bright lights and the CS-X maintains file height & file angles on cutters, plus takes down rakers on the same stroke. God bless capitalism cause I'm one of "those guys" and it works for me.

The sad part is Sawtroll and Philbert are both 100% correct.

'Sad'? Why is that 'sad'? Both of us like being correct!

My perspective has always been that there are lots of ways to sharpen a chain - guys need to find something that works for them, even if it is not what somebody else does.

Philbert

I have this set up in all 3 sizes and it works just great. I am not sure it is always filing the rakers each time because it is meant to keep them at a certain height. For the novice I think it is a great tool but I see many “ pro’s “ use it just for the quick touch up in the field. It makes you keep the file at the correct angle so that when you pick up a traditional file it is a natural movement to keep the right angle as well. Well for me it was. 40.00 is what it costs here in Ontario 40 euro in the EU .

Philbert
Sad in the way I really want to side with Sawtroll. A simple pack of files and nothing else needed. Keep it simple kinda thing. But now a days everyone is in a hurry and no time for just a simple life, with work and family taking more time each year. Just makes everyone look for a way of less time and less work by throwing some money at it. But I know not everyone retired from work at 34 with a disability and about 18 hours a day to waste. So as long as everyone has a sharp chain and a way to keep it that way we can all make saw dust piles witha smile

I'm thinking the RG4 and a few files will be the way I go. Watched a few videos on it and it look s like it's almost impossible to screw up the chain. My FIL does it free hand and I envy him that he can do that. With time I might be able to as well. But to get the feel down I think a nice guide would be handy.

Philbert
Sad in the way I really want to side with Sawtroll. A simple pack of files and nothing else needed. Keep it simple kinda thing. But now a days everyone is in a hurry and no time for just a simple life, with work and family taking more time each year. Just makes everyone look for a way of less time and less work by throwing some money at it. But I know not everyone retired from work at 34 with a disability and about 18 hours a day to waste. So as long as everyone has a sharp chain and a way to keep it that way we can all make saw dust piles witha smile

I don't think it is a matter of being in a hurry. I think it is a matter of being efficient. I can free hand file, I have a couple of chain grinders but I also have these tools. Right tool for the right job. While I am sure some here can file a chain better, this does a good enough job to keep me cutting and finishing up what I am working on.

Rockjock
Right tool for right job is why I get in trouble when I shop. Always something else to get and I'll find that reason somehow if I want it bad enough. I like files but there's a grinder in my near future for those nails I absolutely love hitting . I like efficiency too, and hitting nails in dead center of 28 inch Oak every other day of cutting is grinder territory

I can be pretty fussy, and obsess about chain details. Some guys 'just hit the cutters with a file' and cut lots of wood. Other guys just make a dull chain worse.

So, if someone finds something that works for them, I say, 'go for it'. I don't sell any of the file guides. or jigs, or grinders. I don't care if they pay someone to sharpen their chains. I am not offended if they do it differently than me. My only personal interest is if they are using a chain once, then throwing it away - then I want first 'dibs' on picking through their trash!

Every method of sharpening has its advantages and limitations. Each of the file guides have them, as well as free-hand filing. But so does new chain out-of-the-box for some guys!

Philbert

Back