Stihl 200t muffler bolts stripped

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yeah mate there's enough room to build three or four small villages there

helicoils and stuff totally unneccesary, just tap in the next size-up bolt which is 6mm. Tons of room there

m20m.jpg

Check the head of the bolts in the muffler first they may not fit a little grindind will help but Heli Coil is neater.

yep if no helicoil then whip a chainsaw file thru the muffler holes to get the 6mm bolt thru

You should have no problem going up in size I fixed one for a friend about 5 years ago. I think I had to go up to a 1/4 sae fine thread because it was so bad, but when I did that I had to drill out the muffler a little also but it worked great and is still going strong and do use the red loctite.

You should have no problem going up in size I fixed one for a friend about 5 years ago. I think I had to go up to a 1/4 sae fine thread because it was so bad, but when I did that I had to drill out the muffler a little also but it worked great and is still going strong and do use the red loctite.

That will work fine i have done that.Still like the Heli Coil better.You can only go bigger so many times.

I like to make new threads when I can. I have seen where heli coils have not held up very well on muffler applications. If you use the locktite you should not have to fix it again. I will have to play with the heli coils more to get more confident with them.

A-ha!

As an update, I'll say that I bought the 5mm helicoil kit (which was hard to find, btw) and discovered that one of the bolt-holes had the tip of a tap broken off in it. I'm not sure how they did that, but apparently the mechanic at the dealer tried to tap it to a larger size and when it broke, gave up and put a coarse-thread bolt in it's place to try and hold it on. I've not been able to get the tap out yet, but it's up to the edge of the hole, and I think I can get it out. Now I'm wondering if I need to go up a size...

As an update, I'll say that I bought the 5mm helicoil kit (which was hard to find, btw) and discovered that one of the bolt-holes had the tip of a tap broken off in it. I'm not sure how they did that, but apparently the mechanic at the dealer tried to tap it to a larger size and when it broke, gave up and put a coarse-thread bolt in it's place to try and hold it on. I've not been able to get the tap out yet, but it's up to the edge of the hole, and I think I can get it out. Now I'm wondering if I need to go up a size...

Try a reverse drill on the broken piece but dont turn high rpms and get off to the side and ruin the hole go slow.

take the cylinder head to the dealer, throw it over the counter and demand the bastards replace with a new one or take the mofos to court

AHA!! That's why the mechanic doesn't want to helicoil the hole he(Or someone else) has broken a tap off in the hole. That's one of the worst things that can happen,a tap is made of very hard steel and you wont be able to drill into it. Is the screw-hole open in the bottom,or is it a "Blind" hole(With a bottom in it)? If you can get at the hole from behind,under the tap,try to drive it out with a hammer and a good punch,or else from the top try to drive the broken tap right through the hole if the bottom is open. No matter what you MUST get that broken piece out even if you have to butcher the hole a bit,the hole can still be fixed later.
Is it a blind hole? Can you show us a picture? that will really help,we'll help you get it out of there come hell or high water! We'd like to see a photo at this point,can you do that?

take the cylinder head to the dealer, throw it over the counter and demand the bastards replace with a new one or take the mofos to court

I agree,

I would go in and just act ignorant and ask, "who worked on my saw". :msp_confused: When you find out, ask to speak with him and then say, "Is there anything you want to tell me about the work you tried on my saw". :msp_confused: I would do this in the presence of the owner.

BTW, is this Stihl dealer a John Deere dealer?

it's an open hole that the bolts protrude right thru, how the hell anyone could possibly snap off a tap in there, they'd have to be ham-fisted beyond belief lol

As an update, I'll say that I bought the 5mm helicoil kit (which was hard to find, btw) and discovered that one of the bolt-holes had the tip of a tap broken off in it. ....

Yep.....taps are very hard and brittle! That's why it's broken off in there! The guy over torqued the tap and broke it! Probably bottomed it out.

A few choices....none of them really cheap....

Wire EDM
Carbide end mill....
If hole is a through hole...punch out broken tap tip. (breaking it)

Post up a pic......kinda running blind!

Post that picture! You're gonna have to drive the tap out of the hole from behind,use a punch and a hammer-be careful not to break the exhaust flange off,cause you will need to hit it with some force,start lightly,then gradually harder. Lay the cylinder on something solid,with the tap over a hole,while supporting the ex. flange. Maybe set it on top a vise open just enough for the tap to fall through the gap. It should come out that way. Use some muscle but don't break the cylinder.:angry:
Once you get the broken tap out you can inspect the hole to see how to best repair it.

I think the dealer :jester: did that,clown...

Post that picture! You're gonna have to drive the tap out of the hole from behind,use a punch and a hammer-be careful not to break the exhaust flange off,cause you will need to hit it with some force,start lightly,then gradually harder. Lay the cylinder on something solid,with the tap over a hole,while supporting the ex. flange. Maybe set it on top a vise open just enough for the tap to fall through the gap. It should come out that way. Use some muscle but don't break the cylinder.:angry:
Once you get the broken tap out you can inspect the hole to see how to best repair it.

I think the dealer :jester: did that,clown...

If you do go this rout....you'll still have bits of the broken tap in the hole...which are hard.....but will probably be able to drill the hold out to put in the insert.

What a sleazebag,he probably new there was a broken tap in the bolt hole all along...
I would be sure to take the piece of broken tap back to his shop and ask him if he still needs it...

I'm pretty sure it can be drifted out from behind in one piece. I've had to do several where the customer had broken a drill or tap off from trying to fix the hole himself.
Then you'll have to size up the hole and decide if a heli-coil or larger bolt will work best in the maimed hole...

Latest posts

Back