Stihl 260 (026) Dropped from Model Lineup?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OOOOhhhh...'dems fightin' words brudda!!:chainsaw:
020t, MS200t, 021, 260pro, MS290, MS361...

(tone... mildly sarcastic with accompanying rolly eyes) However I have noticed that my new 260pro has a much more streamlined slim profile overall, makes it VEEERRY nice to look at...:dizzy: :dizzy:

go Bermie:clap:

As far as I am concerned the new fixed jet 026s are POS's. It could be that homeowners and Pro's alike are buying this model and realizing it has less power in the cut than the old model, while offerings from other OEM's are just as powerful as before.

While a few can swap an old carb on the saw to give it some balls, why should a company buying 25 of them have to go through all the hassle? And at least 2/3 of professionals dont have the time or knowledge to do this themselves.

Also emissions could be a factor, maybe it is just becoming too expensive to keep the old girl in compiance, just like the 038, 257XP, 272XP, 288, etc.

FWIW, my 2 week old MS260 (non-pro) has an adjustable carb. As I was shopping around, there were no comments from any dealer (including those that carried both Stihl & Husky) about the 260 being dropped from the product line.

O.K. is there any way for me to tell just by looking at one in the shop whether it has an adjustable carb (aside from the dealer telling me whether it does)?

The "H" jet has a red limit stop top on it; but, it has enough adjustment range to compensate for our elevation.
What does "H" and "red limit stop top" mean?

Anything sold since about 2003 has the two screw carb...

Look into the rubber grommet - you'll see the H limiter (red) and a black screw for the L.

The H limiter works like all other saws - stops you making the H mixture richer than allowed by the EPA.

2000ssm6 said:
Make sure you have a fully adjustable carb, like the 194. It will have "H" "L" and "LA" settings.

Where do I look for this H setting on the 260? I assume it's a switch or something labeled "H" somewhere?

It's a big lever right by the detonator bulb.

Space is trying to mislead you. The Lever is the detonator.:greenchainsaw:

It's in the manual... and on the side of the saw above the little H &L on the carb cover.. BTW... is you don't know about this stuff... I wouldn't worry about the number of carb screws...

I have D.L.'d the 260's manual, and found what you are referring to there. Thank you for humoring me L.S. I understand the whole "if you don't know better you don't need to worry about it" point, but I want the one with an adjustable carb. Even if I'll never mod it, and this is just one (husky)man's obviously overstated opinion, but why NOT get one with the H if I can find one?

Originally Posted by HUSKYMAN
As far as I am concerned the new fixed jet 026s are POS's.

Back