Stihl 260 (026) Dropped from Model Lineup?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well isn't the EPA gonna make a lot of saw models go away by 2010 anyways?

So sure, I guess the 260 is kind of in its last run.
Don't know the answer to the original question, but this thread is from 2003 & some spammer brought it back to spam us. blast him!!!!!!!!!

The 270 & 280 arent considered Pro saws like the 260. As far as im concerned
there in a whole other ball park. Why would stihl discontinue there only Midsize frame pro saw for a Homeowners midsize saw?

Because home owners are going to be looking at ways to save money? And to a know nothing home owner a 310 or such with low price tag would fit the bill of "bigger is better" and "well I'm not a pro" At least marketing-wise that is. Other then that I dunno.

how can u tell when a 026 has the adjust. jets?? Or should ask what yr did they stop doing it... If I saw looking on ebay and ask the yr of make would that be enough to know if they did not..

also - can one put an adjust. carb on the new ones (260 pro ??)

thanks

hmm - does look like a spam... but I still have the ??

Last edited:
how can u tell when a 026 has the adjust. jets?? Or should ask what yr did they stop doing it... If I saw looking on ebay and ask the yr of make would that be enough to know if they did not..

also - can one put an adjust. carb on the new ones (260 pro ??)

thanks

hmm - does look like a spam... but I still have the ??
Most 026's had the fully adjustable carbs. Yes you can indeed put the fully adj. carb on the 260's. Andy or Tom could probably give you some year breakdowns of the carb changes through the years, but there has been a few. The most desirable adjustable 026 carb is the Walbro 194.

Last edited:
FWIW, my 2 week old MS260 (non-pro) has an adjustable carb. As I was shopping around, there were no comments from any dealer (including those that carried both Stihl & Husky) about the 260 being dropped from the product line.

+1 Same experience with our new 260 Pro. Both jets adjustable. The "H" jet has a red limit stop top on it; but, it has enough adjustment range to compensate for our elevation. Great saw.:cheers:

The 260 pro is designed for the guy who wants to be able to say he runs a pro saw,but is half scared to run anything with some balls. Its all part of drinking the stihl kool aid and believing the USA Today full page ad. I've never seen a 260 pro for under $500 out the door. You can pick up a jonsered 2152 for around $375 out the door and have just as much saw,plus not get hosed price wise. I own both saws and have run them side by side and abused both.The 260 pro simply isn't worth the extra coin. For $500 you can pick up a 2165 and have more saw then the 361 which is well over $600.Hell I just bought a brand new 372 for $609 out the door.I couldn't touch a stihl 361 for less then around $690

So why would anybody thats taken the time and isn't just brand loyal continue to pay more for a 260 when they can get more saw for the same money elsewhere. The local stihl dealer has even admitted he's having a harder time selling the 260 pro and 361 due to Husky and jonsered offering more saw for the same price or less.

If Jonsered is so damn good, how come they haven't taken the market by storm? ;)

Often it's not "brand loyalty..." . I couldn't tell you where to buy a Jonsered out here.... (big market also..) or a tanaka, or an efco, or a dolmar, or a xxxxx...... mail order doesn't count for most users.

Hey... I do know where to buy a Husky...

Last edited:
honestly I bought my 361 for one - because he give a deal I could not turn down $539 + tax.. that was 2 weeks ago.. It really was not what I set out to get.. But I am happy with it..

What an idiot.

Edit: And no, I dont care if that post was from 2003
Don't take him too seriously...he has also commented not too long ago that the vibrations are unbearable. So I guess they are girly saws that have so much vibration that men can't run em ;). However I'm the one that bought Mike's (aka Kneejerk's) 026 and it was a great saw.

Actually,jonsered is proof of how bad husky is screwing you for orange plastic and bent handle. Jonsered needs husky to allow them to take out a full page ad in USA today. They could be the new and improved stihl.

It seems like stihl dealers run better prices down south,then they do in the rocky mountain states. I've never seen a local stihl dealer charge less then msrp or even higher.

I had one dealer tell me that stihl requires a minimum of 20 grand in stock on hand to even be a dealership,which results in dealers charging more for stihl products to stay afloat. Does anybody know what the dealership minimum requirement is?

The problem I have with my 260 pro is its cold blooded. It runs great in 40 degree or above weather. I've had a couple mechanics claim thats common with stihl.

The bottom line is stihl wants too much for the 260 pro and sales are down. Will they drop it,who knows?

Lets hope they keep the 026/ms260

I've only ran one a handful of times but the last time I was really impressed. It went right through a peice of really hard dead Oak. Some spings would be nice but no big deal. It's an old design but who cares-it works. I would own one but I'm just too cheap to spend that kind of money on a limbing saw.

Another vote for the "Girly" saw.

I'm 6" 4 and 270 lbs. Don't call me Sally.

And you can forget about the a$$ smacking..... LOL

Maybe the reason they are dropping the 026 is, it's a cute little saw made for girls and women, and not many girls and women buy chainsaws.

OOOOhhhh...'dems fightin' words brudda!!:chainsaw:
020t, MS200t, 021, 260pro, MS290, MS361...

(tone... mildly sarcastic with accompanying rolly eyes) However I have noticed that my new 260pro has a much more streamlined slim profile overall, makes it VEEERRY nice to look at...:dizzy: :dizzy:

Latest posts

Back