Stihl 260 PRO double dogs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beefie

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
When I bought my Stihl 361 a month ago it came with the double dogs and ceramic chain catch on it. My buddy that was with me bought a new 260 Pro and when we put the two side by side it looked like you would be able to put the D.D. system on. We asked the dealer and nothing came up. So since I had a 260 I bought a couple years ago I started to do some measuring. It looked like it would bolt up. Ordered the parts I needed and got them in yesterday. Here are pics of the 361 and the 260 both with the same D.D. and ceamic chain catch, The only place were I lost bar length was at the very bottom tooth buy about 3/4" Other wise they stick out the same as the factory inner did.

I think it makes the saw
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Here is the stihl part #'s needed to do this. It is the same for the 361 and the 260Pro. I do not no about any other saws that it would fit.
1 inner bumper spike #1135-664-0501
1 outer bumper spike #1135-664-0500
2 screws #9008-319-0960
2 nuts #9214-320-0700
1 ceramic chain catch kit #1135-650-7700

Any ? just ask , it only took about 10 min to install with doing some cleaning involed.

I do like the d.d. on the 361 when cutting up elm or other dead trees were the bark wants to just peel it bites in nice .

Beefie

I'm just curious about the inside of the clutch cover plate. What type of head is on the bolts holding the dog ? Is it a carriage type bolt or a hex head. I'm wondering about clearing the chain with the head.

Nosmo

I'm just curious about the inside of the clutch cover plate. What type of head is on the bolts holding the dog ? Is it a carriage type bolt or a hex head. I'm wondering about clearing the chain with the head.

Nosmo

If you take the clutch cover off ,you will notice two white plastic chain guides. Pop these off and you will see a recess for a hex head bolt. Insert bolt thru hole so it comes out on the front side, reinstall plastic , this will temporarily hold the bolts in place. Install dog plate and the nuts , watch how much you tighten the nuts .

Does this make sense? If not I could take some pics.

Beefie

It is supposed to prevent operator injury if the chain breaks. It is supposed to catch it in case the chain does break. There is a small metal one on the 260's which somewhat resembles a hook.

Nosmo

I wonder of those would fit on my MS290 FB ? or Imight need to buy a MS 362:D

I don't have a parts book for the 290 but here is the Clutch Case Part # for the 260 --------- 1125 640 1701.

I would think if the part number for the 290 is the same then it'll work just fine.

Nosmo

My ipl shows the same #(1125 640 1701)for the 290!

Is this plastic? I know the 029 I have is.Would a plastic cover hold up?

If you are coming up for the cutting for charity event this weekend I will let you drool over it in person:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Beefie

It looks like a good time! Kids have tournaments this weekend otherwise it would be a thought.
I missed the last outing in Grantsburg by a week,was up there for the boys state hockey tournament.It seems like their is always something to do!
:cheers:

They will fit most stihl saws. My cutting partner has the outer one off of my 440 on his 029super. Both of my 036 have the large inner dogs. My 066 has the double large dogs with a piece of cork on the metal pin. I prefer the larger ones for when I am cutting trees with large voids in their bark.

Ray

Back