stihl 261 carb adjustment

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbayer

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
How are you guys getting around the limiter on this carb its different than the old ones. My stupid dealer wont retune my saw, and I fear it is lean. I cant hear any fourstroking at wot.

I know I couldnt believe it when I called and they siad no. I even called twice. The sad part is I only bought the saw therebecuase the place I normally go didnt have the 261 yet and couldnt tell me when they could get it. Stupid impatient me

Sorry I was not clear I justmean the high jet limiter on the carb yes its stock around 15 tanks through it

My bad. Put a wood screw into the center of the metal cover of the H needle. It will pull right out. You'll then need to grind off the vertical ridge on it. You'll also need to remove the plastic piece down inside on the head of the needle and remove the notch on it. Once done, replace the plastic and metal piece. Be careful not to remove the notch on the plastic piece that engauges into the metal part. It'll make sense once you have it apart and look at it.

Thanks thats what I needed,has anyone else ran into this its a brand new saw and the dealer wont retune so stupid

dealer may be scared of EPA

They are easier to track down & levy fines against than owners/users

I would think they would be scared of customers bringing in blown up saws, and Im afriad they will tell me I blew it up somehow. Then ill be hosed on a 600 dollar saw. Im very disturbed by this since if I do it I void my warranty

Warranty? How old is the saw? I think the "pro" model stihls are only covered for 90 days. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

EDIT: Yep I think I am wrong just checked the website and it says for 1 year unless used for professional use.

Last edited:
Warranty? How old is the saw? I think the "pro" model stihls are only covered for 90 days. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

EDIT: Yep I think I am wrong just checked the website and it says for 1 year unless used for professional use.

It's 2 years if you buy a 6 pack of Ultra, any size at the time
of purchase of saw for non-professional use.

TT

H Limiter Removal ????

OK, Hate to pull up an old thread, but after reading through MM's ms261 build, and doing the best I could w/ Brad's nearly 100 page ms261 thread, and this one...

I am still at a loss as to how the H limiter cap comes out. Tried the wood screw, and can get it to pull out about 1/16" then stops. On the plastic limiters the tab has to properly line up for the cap to com out. I thought it was a PITA until about 2 hours ago.

AM I missing something obvious? Does the limiter cap need to line up with something I am just not seeing at this point?

I have been reading ms261 threads for well over an hour, eyes burning, going to get some rack time....

dw

I thought on the 261, you could reach through the limiter cap with an allen wrench (or is it torx) and just turn the screw within the limiter, click by click?

I drilled the pin out on mine and the rest was a piece of cake. Drilling was rather a piece of cake as well.

Removing and installing the carb was the retarded part.

I thought on the 261, you could reach through the limiter cap with an allen wrench (or is it torx) and just turn the screw within the limiter, click by click?

That is news me... this and other threads talk about taking it out. It be an awful small allen/torx whichever. Not near the saw until late this evening...

dw

Just use a 1/8 drill and a drill motor to make the hole in the center of the limiter cap big enough for a 2mm allen wrench to fit in there and your set :msp_w00t:

Just use a 1/8 drill and a drill motor to make the hole in the center of the limiter cap big enough for a 2mm allen wrench to fit in there and your set :msp_w00t:

Much thanks to both, but I still have the same problem. I cannot get the cap out of the carb to drill it, or trim the stops. Does the alloy limiter come out in any position and I am just not pulling hard enough or does the limiter need to line up w/ a slot like the other Stihl H limiters do to come out? Once I get eh allow cap out I can figure the rest... I just could not get the cap out and do not want to use brute-force if it needs to be in a certain position (keyed) to come out.

I will try again tonight some, I may just need to drive the screw in farther as it was popping out of the limiter when pulling but it was only screwed in by hand.

dw

Much thanks to both, but I still have the same problem. I cannot get the cap out of the carb to drill it, or trim the stops. Does the alloy limiter come out in any position and I am just not pulling hard enough or does the limiter need to line up w/ a slot like the other Stihl H limiters do to come out? Once I get eh allow cap out I can figure the rest... I just could not get the cap out and do not want to use brute-force if it needs to be in a certain position (keyed) to come out.

I will try again tonight some, I may just need to drive the screw in farther as it was popping out of the limiter when pulling but it was only screwed in by hand.

dw

You don't need to take the cap off or take the carb out to make that hole bigger

Once you have the hole big enough for a allen wrench you can adjust the carb and you will feel the plastic skip over the limiter :msp_wink:

You don't need to take the cap off or take the carb out to make that hole bigger

Once you have the hole big enough for a allen wrench you can adjust the carb and you will feel the plastic skip over the limiter :msp_wink:

Drill it out on the carb? Sounds a bit risky... but I'll give it a look see.

dw

Back