stihl 261 carb adjustment

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
H 2 H

H 2 H

FLASHER
Drill it out on the carb? Sounds a bit risky... but I'll give it a look see.

dw

Think I've done this to 4 261 in the last couple months

It's about 1/8" thick that you have to drill thru

Stihl make's a 2 mm wrench that looks just like carb adjustment screwdriver for these saw's or you can just use a 2 mm allen wrench :msp_wink:

user 64030

user 64030

ArboristSite Guru
Well, drilled it out, even made my own carb tool from a 2mm allen and an old autozone pocket screw driver to make adjustments easier... Now I'm ready for the MM :)

dw.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

user 64030

user 64030

ArboristSite Guru
Good deal! Where are the photos???????? :D Come on. Inquiring minds want to know, and see.

Sure thing, I'll post it later. Basicall I took a small pocket screw drive )w/ pocket clip) and cut the slotted end of, then welded on ~3/4" of a 2mm alan key. This way I have a tool easier to handle than a alan key, anf because it has a safety orange handle easy to find if/when dropped

dw

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

user 64030

user 64030

ArboristSite Guru
Photos as Requested

The first picture shows the before and after. I cut the slotted end off the screw driver (it has a phillips as well). Then welded on ~3/4" of 2mm allen key. Grinded the weld to a smooth taper, then used a sharpie paint marker to give it a coat of paint.

IMG-20120929-00154_zps79e0b3f1.jpg

Close up of the end. I had everything plum to each other, but as things goes, when it cools down it shrinks, and as the weld cooled it pulled the key out of plum.

IMG-20120929-00156_zps07298b66.jpg

The screwdriver came from autozone, just some of the cheap tools at teh register. I had originally picked a couple up hoping they would work as a carb adjust as I wanted one w/ the pocket clip, but they are to big.

If I had wanted I could have made a jig from a 2x4 that would help help keep it all plum.

dw