Stihl 271 Really aint so bad

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SilverKing

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Ok so I bought this saw a few weeks ago.Im on tank 14(I keep count on a new saw for awhile).I took the top cover off the saw for the first time today.The air filter and under the cover are almost spotless.This saw is just breakin in,and I gotta say Im happy with it.After I found out its a non cat saw.It revs fast,has all the power you could expect from a 50 cc saw,(3.5 hp),and although the specs dont look all that impressive,at 12.3 pounds I think its light,and balances really well.It may not be a pro saw,but for the money I would recommend this one to anybody needing a good all around firewood saw.Hopefully I can still say the same about it 2 years from now

They are good little saws.

I had the MS270 for quite a few years, mine had the quick chain adjuster on it(I never really fell in love with that feature but that's another story). Got it mostly for my father to run seeing as its way lighter then his old 038.

The carb would give me fits if I didn't run it dry every time I used it, hopefully your new MS271 doesn't act the same way.

Best of luck

They are good little saws.

I had the MS270 for quite a few years, mine had the quick chain adjuster on it(I never really fell in love with that feature but that's another story). Got it mostly for my father to run seeing as its way lighter then his old 038.

The carb would give me fits if I didn't run it dry every time I used it, hopefully your new MS271 doesn't act the same way.

Best of luck

so far so good,but it does take a good bit of warm up time for the saw to run like it should.I agree on the quick chain adjuster,ive had it on 3 different Stihl saws and wasnt to impressed

I'm not familiar with the Stihl 271..but the website shows what appears to be a fully adjustable carb..??

If so..that's really good..again..if..that's truly the case..??

Anyways..I hope you have good experiences with it.....

I've seen photos on this site of just huge amounts of wood cut with a 270..!!

I would never have thought so..but I guess if done moderately..they can do more than one would think..!!

I wish you well with your ms271..!!
:cheers:
J2F

I'm not familiar with the Stihl 271..but the website shows what appears to be a fully adjustable carb..??

If so..that's really good..again..if..that's truly the case..??

Anyways..I hope you have good experiences with it.....

I've seen photos on this site of just huge amounts of wood cut with a 270..!!

I would never have thought so..but I guess if done moderately..they can do more than one would think..!!

I wish you well with your ms271..!!
J2F

Carb is semi adjustable,both the hi and lo needles can be turned about 3/4 turn,and thanks for the well wishes,i need all the luck I can get

so far so good,but it does take a good bit of warm up time for the saw to run like it should.I agree on the quick chain adjuster,ive had it on 3 different Stihl saws and wasnt to impressed

A common "feature" on strato saws.

What do you guys consider a long warm up time 30 sec or so?

I don't have any strato saws, but I am in the habit of starting a saw an letting it idle for 30 sec to a min, burned up a big bore kit in dad's 038 years back and wasn't really sure what went wrong so I now try and let all my saws idle for a while at start up and shut down.... among other changes in my habits.

What do you guys consider a long warm up time 30 sec or so?

I don't have any strato saws, but I am in the habit of starting a saw an letting it idle for 30 sec to a min, burned up a big bore kit in dad's 038 years back and wasn't really sure what went wrong so I now try and let all my saws idle for a while at start up and shut down.... among other changes in my habits.

30 seconds is a fairly long warm up time ,but its always a good idea.If my saws have enough gas them to start,I start em up,let em idle while I fill the gas and oil tanks

Carb is semi adjustable,both the hi and lo needles can be turned about 3/4 turn,and thanks for the well wishes,i need all the luck I can get
If you've got both High and Low needles..that means you just a have "restricted" adjustment for the carb.

The "limiter caps" can be pulled and it will be fully adjustable..If you remove them yourself..you will void the warranty.

Your dealer who sold you the saw...hopefully...(and is supposed to be required by Stihl")...removed the limiters...

and adjusted your carb properly...your altitude etc..and richened the High setting..then replaced the limiters.

(almost all saws...(carbs) are too lean leaving the factory..!!)

If you question if that was done or not...contact them...and find out...and get your carb set correctly..!!
J2F

Last edited:
i've had mine for a few months now and have no complaints. It doesn't get the nods that a 261 gets but then why would it. all the talk is about 261's and 346's. I think the 271 is one of the better kept secrets out there.

I am pulling the trigger on a new saw next week to take advantage of the free case. I have it narrowed down to the ms291 or the ms271. The 291 is $60 cheaper but the 271 is .5#'s lighter. The salesman said that the hp is less but the saw actually has more torque so it actually outperforms the 291. I currently have a ms250c and think I need more power to cut up my 100 foot oaks. I don't cut often but when I do (Maybe 6-10 times a yr) I cut ALL day long. So, I think the .5# will make a difference to me.

Do you guys think the $60 extra is worth it or just stay with the 291? Although the 271 does come with the 18 inch bar standard instead of the 16".

I am pulling the trigger on a new saw next week to take advantage of the free case. I have it narrowed down to the ms291 or the ms271. The 291 is $60 cheaper but the 271 is .5#'s lighter. The salesman said that the hp is less but the saw actually has more torque so it actually outperforms the 291. I currently have a ms250c and think I need more power to cut up my 100 foot oaks. I don't cut often but when I do (Maybe 6-10 times a yr) I cut ALL day long. So, I think the .5# will make a difference to me.

Do you guys think the $60 extra is worth it or just stay with the 291? Although the 271 does come with the 18 inch bar standard instead of the 16".

You must have got some wrong info - the 271 is just the 291 with a smaller top-end. Both are consumer saws with a (heavy) plastic case, and a clamshell type engine design.

Since they weight the same, the 291 obviously is the best choise, and should cost more than the 271.

Last edited:

Sorry, I meant the 290 not the 291.

Get a 261 -- to me that is the clear standout in Stihl's lineup in this size range. You'll get the best power/weight ratio. They normally come standard with an 18" bar.

You must have got some wrong info - the 271 is just the 291 with a smaller top-end. Both are consumer saws with a (heavy) plastic case, and a clamshell type engine design.

Since they weight the same, the 291 obviously is the best choise, and should cost more than the 271.

I've had my 271 for a year now and have had no problems. Its a good saw no matter what some say. I use it, they don't:msp_biggrin:

I know the MS290 has quite a following but I have run them and never been satisfied. My local dealer has the free case with the MS311 also. This saw would certainly be a step up in performance to compliment the MS250 you already have and would have much better power. If you are cutting 100ft oaks, I would certainly pass on the ms290 and step up......................how far depends on what you want to spend. The MS311 is heavier but once those big trees hit the ground, you can just let the saw carry its own weight on the logs and use the MS250 for the smaller stuff. Now, let the scolding begin..................... :beated:

I have not run the new 271 but I have a 270 and have run it everyday like it was a pro saw for 2 years. No problems what so ever with it. The 290 is a turd compared to the 270 IMO. Congrats on the saw bro. I think this saw is a very well kept secret. I have turned a lot of other tree companies on to them for quick limbing saws.

Back