stihl 440

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gpanseri

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
well i was going to buy a new husky 372 XP, but i put in a low bid on a stihl used 440 and somehow won the auction. i am starting to regret this move because the saw sold so low for the model it is. i bought the saw from action641 on ebay and he wants to charge me for using pay pal. Is that allowed by ebay? i am kind of hesitant and pissed because of this issue. please if someone knows anything about this paypal issue i would like to know about it and also would like to know if i made a good choice.

Sellers are not allowed by ebay rules to charge extra to use paypal. If sellers wish to use paypal they have to accept that they will incur paypal fees.

Tom

Actually the saw you bought is a Stihl 044 (ebay item 4316105828). Basically the same as an MS440 just an older model. Doesn't look to be in too bad of shape, but I always ask ebay sellers if they can check compression and if any of the plastic flywheel (if it is plastic) fins are broken off. When you get the saw, take off the front of the muffler and look in to see if the piston or cylinder are scored up.

He also says it was owned by a government agency before he had it. That can usually be OK, because they will have it fixed or serviced when something isn't right. They don't have to pay the bill for fixing you know.

Actually that isn't a bad price, 044's have been going between 250-300 the last couple months, some a little less and some a little more. Wait about a month or two and the prices of saws on ebay will go up. Every fall ebay saw prices goes up quite a bit.

The 044 is a good saw, every bit as good as the 372. One's a Stihl and one's a Husky. Get the saw and use it, enjoy and be safe.

Tom

How can I be sure that if i ask him those questions he will follow through and check those things. It was an "as is" sale and with him trying to charge his own PayPal price I feel like he's trying to screw me.

Once the auction is over it's too late, you have to ask before you bid. He may do it for you, but you bought it as is. But he also has to honor the final price and cannot charge extra for paypal. If he tries, then you contact ebay and paypal and file a complaint.

Tom

I almost bid on that saw but for some reason just didn't do it. I just wasn't sure if it being owned by the gov that someone just didn't give a crap and beat the saw, but like you pointed out they are gov saws so probably maintained well when in service, but it does bring up the question, where they taken out of service cause of major problems to them in the end. Most ebayers selling will state if you use a credit card that they will charge for the credit card use (a higher fee to the seller) but this guy didn't state that so I would call his bluff, heck if he backs out there will be another saw come along for sale.

Is it me or did the buy it now price just drop $25.

If they do their saws anything like we did on the Shots, I wouldn't buy the saw. A new saw was a primary fire saw for a season, maybe two. then a project saw for 1-2 years. Very well maintained but also very well used. average life in the 800-900 hrs range.

I e-mailed that seller about reposting the 044 and this is what he had to say:

SAME PIC DIFFERENT SAW.

I HAVE A FEW SAWS IN ABOUT THE SAME CONDITION.

JIM

There you have it.

One thing in his favor is that he got back to me right away. If he was a shifty seller I probably would never have even gotten a response.

Chris B.

i guess i have to be honest. when i found out all that the games that seller was playing i cut bait and didn't accept the saw. i am not rich enough to throw my money away on the risk that that guy was selling me a bunch of worn out pieces that won't last till december and i will have to rebuild the entire saw. i have decided that i am better off to just buy new when its really neccessary. i am sorry to have to do that to him but i am a lowly college student who cannot take the risk when tuition money is so important. i do not use a saw to make money, but save it for my dad so i need something reliable and right now my 330 is reliable. if i see a good deal on a new saw i will jump on it but until that deal comes along i will enjoy the tools i have!

i will keep tuning into the site because all of you guys on here are such a fantastic resource for a young guy with little experience on high end equipment and the repairs of that equipment.

If you decide to go with a 046 I have one used one and I will probably have a couple new MS460's to sell.

Bill

Back