Stihl 440

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laddo90

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I've got a stihl 440 with a big bore kit on it. I ported it and removed the base gasket, it runs at 13800 rpms and whips my brothers and friends 044 and 440. I have the high turned all the way in but if I turn the low out I got it up to 15500 before I stopped is that to high of an rpm or can I go higher?

Im going to step out on a limb and say you have no idea of what your doing.
The saw should 4-stroke at WOt but be clean in the cut. Runnin 15 grand guaranteed its not 4 stroking no more

You need to watch and listen to some videos of tuning a saw before you have a smeared piston. It may still be 4 stroking at 15.5k but I doubt it. You should be around 1 turn out on the H and L if not more towards 1.25 turns out.

If it is running good with the H turned all the way in, you've got some carb issues. This saw is going to blow up if you don't treat it how it needs to be treated. Hopefully it isn't already scored. I would recommend taking a look at the piston through the muffler (even if you did before) and verify its condition.

I'd say you have lots of learning to do. If you don't know how to tune a saw or understand the basic concept of how a 2 stroke works you shouldn't be porting a saw.

Be ready to order another top end soon if you don't tune the saw right.

The saw should be rich enough out of the wood that it isn't a clean crisp sound like when it's cutting. Blsnelling has a video tuning a 440. Just search his name on YouTube and then watch and listen.

I've milled with it an hour.
Cut wood 10-12hours.
Carved with it 5 hours

The thing does't get to hot or any thing.

how does a two stroke, possibly four stroke

The four stroking is referring to the sound the engine makes when it is having a "rich misfire". It is not the smooth screaming sound of a lean tuned saw but a rougher burbly uneven sound. If the saw sounds like this at wide open throttle but then smooths out when you put it in wood (load it down some), then the tune is just right. ie, rich enough to not burn it up but lean enough for good power output.

The rpms will be higher if the saw is leaner but that is a temporary situation until the engine goes kaput.

Proper tuning is paramount to any two stroke engine's life.

I've got a stihl 440 with a big bore kit on it. I ported it and removed the base gasket, it runs at 13800 rpms and whips my brothers and friends 044 and 440. I have the high turned all the way in but if I turn the low out I got it up to 15500 before I stopped is that to high of an rpm or can I go higher?

Limiters are still on the carb:msp_sneaky:,

I've milled with it an hour.
Cut wood 10-12hours.
Carved with it 5 hours

The thing does't get to hot or any thing.

Im calling bull ****. If that saw ran for an hour I'd be surprised. Video some proof and I'll apologize

Latest posts

Back