Stihl 441 vs. Husky 372/576

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BBush

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
After reading post on this forum for several months now, I have come to the conclusion that two of the most popular saws on this forum are the Stihl 441 and the Husky 372. I understand that the 372 is being discontinued very soon, if it hasn't already been. If you look at the Husky website, the saw that is the closest in power to the 372 is the 576. A lot of people on this forum aren't overly excited about the 576 because it is brand new and hasn't been proven over time like the 372 has. I can understand that, in fact I am somewhat geared that way...I want to make sure that they work all of the kinks out before I buy it. The other problem that a lot of people mention about the 576 is the added weight of it over the 372. People say that you get a little increase in power but at the expense of a big increase in weight. Many people cite that the reason that the 576 hasn't become very popular is it's weight. The Husky website list the weight of the 576 as 14.55 lbs. while the Stihl 441 powerhead is listed as 14.6 lbs. I don't undertand why the 576 is labeled as being heavy and unpopular while the Stihl 441 is very popular and everyone's "darling" eventhough it weighs more. I don't recall seeing any negative comments against the 441 for it's weight. Am I missing something?

Until the last year or so the 441 was the 2nd most hated saw on the forum. It was slightly edged out by the Poulan Wildthing. People have now come to their senses and have seen how wonderful a saw they are. The threads on the build of Westspartans 441 and then Wildknights 441 have shown that these saws are flat out monsters! The fisrt 372 I ever ran was an EHP 372. It ruined any other 372 for me from then on. I've yet to be impressed by a stock one. (Yeah, I know, I'll get slapped around a little for saying that). On the other hand I got to run a 575 last year and I like it just fine. For the kind of work these saws are intended to do, their weight is not an issue IMHO. I've never run the 576 and am really looking forward to getting to run one some day. If it were me looking at the 3 you mentioned I would first go with the 441 as it's tried and true. The 372 would be my last choice, as I'm confident the 576 will be right there with the 441.

Last edited:
For the kind of work these saws are intended to do, they're weight is not an issue IMHO.

+1

Too easy to just look at the specs and say a pound in weight difference is a big deal on this class/use of saw. Out there in the real world, it isn't. :)

There doesn't seem to be alot of 576 users here but the few that are like 'em. I think most consider the 576 to be just like the 575, the 575 didn't do to well. I handled a 576 at a dealer awhile back, felt good..

The 441 and 372 are just proven to be great saws.

The 441 weighed 16 lbs dry in another thread awhile back. That puts it right with the 681 and 390xp. No one had a 576xp to weigh or no one asked. Just search saw weight loaded and there is a lot of reading. They say the 576 had more torque than the 372. The 372 is pretty good runner.

Both saws are supposed to be very smooth. My BIL had a 441 and loved it. He said it was as smooth as a husky but with stihl colors. He said it was a little stronger than a 440. I don't know anyone personally that has a 576. When I handled one there was a 390 right above it on the shelf. The 390 felt almost the same as it.

The 441 obviously is the least desirable saw between those, because of excessive bulk, but all are very good saws! :)

The 576xp isn't really totally new - they used the earlier 575xp to work out the germs, since about 2005, and it looks like they succeeded....

I would still take the lighter and less bulky 372xp, but that is just an opinion, as I don't need the extra power of the 576xp.

Last edited:
After reading post on this forum for several months now, I have come to the conclusion that two of the most popular saws on this forum are the Stihl 441 and the Husky 372. I understand that the 372 is being discontinued very soon, if it hasn't already been. If you look at the Husky website, the saw that is the closest in power to the 372 is the 576. A lot of people on this forum aren't overly excited about the 576 because it is brand new and hasn't been proven over time like the 372 has. I can understand that, in fact I am somewhat geared that way...I want to make sure that they work all of the kinks out before I buy it. The other problem that a lot of people mention about the 576 is the added weight of it over the 372. People say that you get a little increase in power but at the expense of a big increase in weight. Many people cite that the reason that the 576 hasn't become very popular is it's weight. The Husky website list the weight of the 576 as 14.55 lbs. while the Stihl 441 powerhead is listed as 14.6 lbs. I don't undertand why the 576 is labeled as being heavy and unpopular while the Stihl 441 is very popular and everyone's "darling" eventhough it weighs more. I don't recall seeing any negative comments against the 441 for it's weight. Am I missing something?

The strato saws are here to stay. A 441 is a very smooth saw. All of these saws are pro saws. You really cant go wrong with any of them. I still laugh when others on here who dont cut for a living. Complain about a 1/2 lb difference in weight. Once you get to this size saw, they all weigh over 20 lbs with fuel and a bar with chain. Most people cant tell the 1/2 lb difference or the .2 hp more or less.

I have spent a good deal of time with the 372xp. I think I own something like 7 of them in some form or another. Great saw. I have also spent some time with the ms441. If you like driving a pregnant watermelon, that is the saw for you. I would not touch that clown hat with a 50 foot pole but to each his own. Too bad, the ms440 was my favorite saw. Shame what stihl did to it. The 576xp is the new kid on the block and as long as we can get the 372xp, it will be the new kid on the block. If you are seriously interested in any of these saw, buy one of each. Sell what don’t work for you and report back. Cheers.

The strato saws are here to stay. A 441 is a very smooth saw. All of these saws are pro saws. You really cant go wrong with any of them. I still laugh when others on here who dont cut for a living. Complain about a 1/2 lb difference in weight. Once you get to this size saw, they all weigh over 20 lbs with fuel and a bar with chain. Most people cant tell the 1/2 lb difference or the .2 hp more or less.

I agree. If you take a 361 and a 362 both full of fuel and oil wearing identical 20" b/c close your eyes, have someone put a saw in each of your hands, you will have a difficult time telling which is which.....

I was under the impression that the 441 was better liked than what is coming across from my initial question. I was thinking that the 441 was liked by the Stihl crowd about as well as the 372 by the Husky crowd, but it kinda looks like I was totally wrong. So, is there any thing else not to like about the 441 other than the weight?

I was under the impression that the 441 was better liked than what is coming across from my initial question. I was thinking that the 441 was liked by the Stihl crowd about as well as the 372 by the Husky crowd, but it kinda looks like I was totally wrong. So, is there any thing else not to like about the 441 other than the weight?

Online chainsaw enthusiasts and pros alike enjoy nothing more than taking a tiny crack in relative saw performance and turning it into the Grand Canyon. Go cut with the saws in question if small differences are important to you.

Realistically, when you are out there in the wood, the most important choice is which saw feels best in your hands. Half a HP here or a pound of weight there is as important as whether you dress to the left or to the right when buying a tuxedo. It doesn't matter. Test them out and buy the pro saw that gives you the best feel. :)

If you want a 372, better had grab one quick. I was never impressed with my stock 2171, a stock 441 would smoke it. I'll take the tiny bit of extra weight for more power.:cheers:

Online chainsaw enthusiasts and pros alike enjoy nothing more than taking a tiny crack in relative saw performance and turning it into the Grand Canyon. Go cut with the saws in question if small differences are important to you.

Realistically, when you are out there in the wood, the most important choice is which saw feels best in your hands. Half a HP here or a pound of weight there is as important as whether you dress to the left or to the right when buying a tuxedo. It doesn't matter. Test them out and buy the pro saw that gives you the best feel. :)

Agreed. All the saws you have mentioned are great saws by great companies backed by great warranties. If I am not mistaken both companies also have satisfaction guarantees that allow you to trade saws if u are not happy. As Saw Troll mentioned the 576 is the second generation strato saw at 70cc so most of the kinks should already be worked out.

I think sometimes the guys around here get caught up in the brand wars and love their saws more while posting than cutting. IMO the only practical things seperating most saws are personal preference.:confused:

Out of the three saws listed I'll take the 7900 @ 13.6 lbs and 6.3 hp.lol:spam:

Honestly now, the best saw out of the three is the 372, it's smooth, light, powerful, and simple.

Obviously this is far from a scientific test, but still the 372 has nothing to be ashamed of.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zzu16mYviFQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zzu16mYviFQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I've run both the 372 and 441. I think they are almost identical performers for most uses. Seriously, you will be hard pressed to say one cuts more wood than the other at the end of the day. I bought the 441 and haven't regretted it a bit.

It is interesting that the 441 was dogged so bad last year and now most have embraced it as the strong performer that it is, even in stock form. I guess it's just human nature to question things that we don't fully understand or haven't experienced first hand.

Frikin 2K!

If you want a 372, better had grab one quick. I was never impressed with my stock 2171, a stock 441 would smoke it. I'll take the tiny bit of extra weight for more power.:cheers:
:spam::spam::spam::spam:

Yep, that 372 was obviously handed its :censored:. 2K always gotta get his orange and white bullets off. Seriously all great saws only personal preference separates them to any discernible degree.

:spam::spam::spam::spam:

Yep, that 372 was obviously handed its :censored:. 2K always gotta get his orange and white bullets off. Seriously all great saws only personal preference separates them to any discernible degree.

The 441 has more power, any husky head will tell ya that. The 441 also has more power than a 440, do you think that is easy for me to admit???:laugh: The only ones that got the bullet was the 440 and 372. The 441 is Stihl going.;)

Bulk.

The 441 has more power, any husky head will tell ya that. The 441 also has more power than a 440, do you think that is easy for me to admit???:laugh: The only ones that got the bullet was the 440 and 372. The 441 is Stihl going.;)

The evidence mostly indicate that is "paper specs only"......:D

Latest posts

Back