stihl 441 with a 28" bar (or 32")

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Of all the new Stihl's I've had it usually takes 15 tanks or so to get them broke in. It does sound like the rakers are a little low if the chain is grabbing.

That's really interestng. Every 441 I've seen on a dealer shelf here has a 25" bar on it. The Stihl catalog even recommends the 25".

I know, I never understood why there is such a difference in bar lengths between here and the states. Here, a 441 comes with a 20" bar. Anything bigger, we have to grab the 660. Never managed to convince my boss to let me put a 24" bar on a 441 for big softwood (although I did sometimes bring my own bar). It sometimes gets ridiculous: my 088 came with a 24" bar!

Of all the new Stihl's I've had it usually takes 15 tanks or so to get them broke in. It does sound like the rakers are a little low if the chain is grabbing.

Chain is brand new stihl pro chain. I think it might be the m-tronic learning. I sure love the way this thing starts and runs...

As Brad said they respond very well to a muff modd,this is a pic of my ported 441C to give you an idear how far ya can go but if i were you i would take the spark screen out and open up the top port as far as possible.They allso sound great as well.:smile2:

attachment.php

Wow a lot of responses. Thank you all for your opinions sorry I didn't get back here quick just been busy this week. I called the local (closest) stihl dealer today to see what they could do for a 441 m tronic and the guy said they didn't carry those and they are not in much demand ( his words ) I asked about ordering one he said he would get back to me.....lol we all know what that means. Anyway after all the post I do believe that the 441 m tronic would prob. do all ( and more) than I will need, most everyone seems to be in the consensus it will have no problems with a 28" bar and that was what I am looking for, now I just have to come up with the funds and look around for a decent dealer. I will keep you all updated. Thank you all again for your time and thoughts, Keith

Wow a lot of responses. Thank you all for your opinions sorry I didn't get back here quick just been busy this week. I called the local (closest) stihl dealer today to see what they could do for a 441 m tronic and the guy said they didn't carry those and they are not in much demand ( his words ) I asked about ordering one he said he would get back to me.....lol we all know what that means. Anyway after all the post I do believe that the 441 m tronic would prob. do all ( and more) than I will need, most everyone seems to be in the consensus it will have no problems with a 28" bar and that was what I am looking for, now I just have to come up with the funds and look around for a decent dealer. I will keep you all updated. Thank you all again for your time and thoughts, Keith

A dealer telling you he doesn't stock them because there isn't much demand is probably telling the truth, but it's not a truth a customer is interested in. It's his own perspective as a dealer. Customers don't give Crap One about that. Here's the proper response from a motivated dealer: "I don't have any in stock right now, but I can track one down for you lickety split. Give me your number and I'll call you back in just a bit to see how long it'll take to getcha one."

Or you could find the next two nearest Stihl dealers and phone them with the same request. I'd have to think that out of three Stihl dealers you'd find one whose pants are on fire to sell you a saw you're on fire to own, and THAT's the dealer you want to do business with.

That is probably true about the dealer, I should have mentioned I haven't had much luck at that shop anyway, so there wasn't any high hopes to be had. I was just giving everyone an update and actually I really wanted to say thanks to everyone for their input more than anything. My question was definitely answered more so than I had guessed it would. I will call around, I was never in a rush for this, just was wondering if it would do what I want, and by all the great answers I am sure it will do what I want and more. I am still not 100% sure if I have the "extra" cash to get this right now, the job I was thinking of will only pay for a very small portion it is more of something I "want" than need. If that shop had it in stock I am sure I would have picked it up though. Thank you again for your input and time. Keith

440, 372

I am looking into a new saw not a huge fan of used stuff..just me though. I have been reading on here about how much better the 441 is for fuel economy than the 660 but from the last post...not so sure any more. I was looking at the 660 but was thinking the 441 might be a better choice in being more modern. It supposedly has better av and fuel efficient, was my thinking behind it. Just a blub here not saying a modern saw is better or worse just my thinking behind it. Might have to really look at the 660 better now.... It is nice to know though that from an earlier post a 441 will pull a 28" bar in hardwood though. I will have to do some more research on the 660 I guess. Anyway I will do some more research I guess just don't want to buy something and be really disappointed. Thanks again Keith

Ive worked on different crews with the forest service doing wildland firefighting. You will almost always find a 70cc saw. Ive mostly used stihl 440 class or a husky 372xp (sometimes 575xp). We beat these saws to death. How often are you cutting big trees because we usually run around a 25 in bar and just do more double cuts when we hit the bigger stuff. 32 in bar isnt practical for us when we go from dumping trees to brush constantly. If im going to get a personal saw, im not going bigger than the 70cc arena because its not worth the extra weight for me. Ill take the extra minute on a tree here and there to have a more agile saw. The more tired you get the more dangerous it is. Think about using a 660 on a bunch on 18" trees, not real practical so ask yourself how many 30" plus trees are you going to be cutting. If its all you cut then maybe you will want to look at the
660 or the 395xp. Personally theres not much that cant be done with the 372xp or 440, maybe thats why 1000's of fire crews use them. Ps it will pull a 28 bar chain combo pretty well, if your needing bigger than that on a regular basis then get a bigger saw. good luck

FWIW I have a MS441 for my firewood business and I run a 20inch ES bar and it cuts like a dream. I think anything bigger would slow the saw down quite a bit. Today I cut a 36" Red Oak and it ate it like butter. You just have to go to the other side to get it through bigger wood, but I figure, if its too big for the 20" bar then its too big for me to be messing with.

That is my saw and bar combo I tend to run most often. The 28in bar does slow the saw a little but it still cuts just as well. The three seconds longer its going to take you to cut that wood should not effect you choice on that combo.

Latest posts

Back