Stihl 460, issues?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MtnCrewMax

Reaction score
Longtime lurker, finally joined; picked up a new to me Stihl ms460, fired up fine, but as it warmed up, what looks like black grease came out around the clutch drum. So my question is basically this, should i be worried that there was some sort of issue and it was repaired and this was assembly grease, or is it some sort of issue itself?

I never had that problem with my other saw that i bought new, so I'm assuming it's been tampered with. Also, the bar oil seems to run everywhere worse than my old craftsman saw, which i hear are about the worst for leaking. Any thoughts there?

I welcome any input, as i have to leave feedback for my purchase, and don't want to let him off the hook if he sold me a piece of junk, obviously. Thanks in advance, I'd rather not get bent over at my local dealer for repairs.

Longtime lurker, finally joined; picked up a new to me Stihl ms460, fired up fine, but as it warmed up, what looks like black grease came out around the clutch drum. So my question is basically this, should i be worried that there was some sort of issue and it was repaired and this was assembly grease, or is it some sort of issue itself?

I never had that problem with my other saw that i bought new, so I'm assuming it's been tampered with. Also, the bar oil seems to run everywhere worse than my old craftsman saw, which i hear are about the worst for leaking. Any thoughts there?

I welcome any input, as i have to leave feedback for my purchase, and don't want to let him off the hook if he sold me a piece of junk, obviously. Thanks in advance, I'd rather not get bent over at my local dealer for repairs.

Welcome to the site.

Who did you get if from, and individual, saw shop, lawn and garden repair place, etc.?

Did the "grease" quit coming out after a little while of running? There should be nothing coming out of the drum area.

Is the saw leaking everywhere while running, or when it is sitting, or both?

E-bay purchase?

E-bay purchase?

Yes, figured just about everything is serviceable/replaceable so I'd roll the dice. So far i haven't run the saw other then starting it to make sure it wasn't doa. The black "grease" did stop coming out, but before i spray it of and continue i figured I'd all around in case it us a sign of more problems to come. As far as the chain oil, it was just sitting and when I'd flip it around to inspect and fuel it up to test it. A note, i am at high altitude and there was some pressure in the tanks when i recieved it, so that pressure may be the culprit.

Nah, the seller probably just greased the needle bearing and the excess stuff came out. 460 aren't known for leaking (much) oil, but if the tank was under pressure than it makes sense... Wait for a day and check it again. A drop now and then is normal. :D Or is it leaking when running?

Don't forget to retune your carb before running it at high altitude. I would also pull the muffler and check the piston, if its ok go cut some wood then leave feedback when you see whats what. :)

Didn't seem to leak any excess when it was running, although i was a bit distracted by the sludge coming from around the drum. It is probably set a little high on the oiling anyway since it came with a 36 bar and skip chain on it. I'm thinking about going to a dual port muffler, anything other than richen the mixture that i need to be aware of?

The oil pump is under the drum and there is a seal that connects the oil pump to the bar feed . If that seal is bad/leaking, maybe it's leaking new bar oil that 'cleaning old debri/sludge in that area and that what your seeing?

The oil pump is under the drum and there is a seal that connects the oil pump to the bar feed . If that seal is bad/leaking, maybe it's leaking new bar oil that 'cleaning old debri/sludge in that area and that what your seeing?

I'll keep an eye on that, thanks!

Back