Stihl 460 magnum w/36" bar?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have an 28'' on mine. In good hardwood it is all it wants. I would like to put the duel port cover on it before long. I am sure that will help me Any way.

My 460 normally where's a 24"B/C but last week had to flush cut some big oaks. Sharp chain and a little extra time and it cut fine. I wouldn't recomend it for everyday cutting. The 24 " suits it well

yosh058.jpg

I run a 32" on mine in hardwood all the time, but it's a big bore, ported and muffler modded. I've seen a 32" on a bone stock 046 in Oak, it did it, but I sure wouldn't have wanted to run that saw all day! It was painfull!
In softwood, I wouldn't think twice about the 36". And as mentioned with full skip it would pull better with a 32", but in hardwoods I would really think that would be max.

Mine came from the dealer wearing a 36"bar. Both my Father and Father-in-law have told me that the 36" on the 044 is the only way to go, both of whome retired from logging. But thats the Pacific NW, too.

046 wears a 24in Stihl bar with square chain max... most of the time 046 has a 20in bar on with square chain.

36in would be too much bar in all but soft wood for 046.
064 comes out for 32in bars... then 084 comes out with 4ft bar .404

Last edited:
I run a 28" on mine, and am looking at running a 20" or 24" on it. In hardwood it works a little with a 28"

My dealer said it would pull a 36" just fine.

I typically run a 25 on the 360. the 660 is out of action.. on loan to a brother two states away.. and I've come across some big stuff I could use to restock the wood crib.. but I need to move it soon or lose it.. and I have an extra 36 bar and chain..

I guess I'll just use the smaller bar and do the dance. This is Hardwood.. and BIG.. gotta be 2 and a half to 3 feet in diameter in some places.

If you got the bar and sharp chains take them out and try them. I would want a 3/8x7 rim, some skip chain, patience and finesse.

I often run a 36" on a modded 460 when on fires. Long bar, less weight. Lot's of hiking.

+1- one the fireline I pack a 36" for falling and a 24" for line construction.

On fires you want a long bar- you want to be able to stand back a bit from a burning snag when you're making your cuts. It's common to have burning material raining down on you from the tops of the snags.

sounds like you have dealer that will fill you full of shiiiiiiiiiiiit to make sale.

I run my 044 with a 32" square chain mainly through large hardwood(hickory,oak) it works well. See no reason why a 36" on a 460 won't work even better. If anything run a full ship chain.

Back