Stihl 500i

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got one, and love it... but I'm wondering if anyone is having problems with warm starts. Starts great first thing in the morning (after the 8 bulb pushes) and starts after a short shut off with no problem, but if I leave it for 10 minutes or more and try to restart, it won't fire. Maybe after 3 or 4 rounds of bulb pushing and pulling it finally starts up....

Just got one, and love it... but I'm wondering if anyone is having problems with warm starts. Starts great first thing in the morning (after the 8 bulb pushes) and starts after a short shut off with no problem, but if I leave it for 10 minutes or more and try to restart, it won't fire. Maybe after 3 or 4 rounds of bulb pushing and pulling it finally starts up....
Only have a few tanks so far, but it appears the longer it sits, the more pumps you'll need. Starts easily though.

Only have a few tanks so far, but it appears the longer it sits, the more pumps you'll need. Starts easily though.
OK, I'll keep experimenting with it... today was the first day I ran it so I too am only at 4 tanks so far.... but other than the starting issue, its been a blast to run with a 25 on it...

My brother and I want one, but our dealer (has been selling Stihl for close to 50 years and has been on Stihl's pro carving team for around 40 of those years) says that he was told that he would be lucky to see any 500i by June. He kept the first 500i that his dealership got and is planning on doing a bunch of mods to it.

After a cut how long do you let it idle before turning it off?
My Mtronics seem to want 20 - 30 seconds or so before shutting down and then startup seems to be easier.

Zero starting issues. In fact if the saw sits over night I don't bother priming it, I even started is after a week and it took like 7 or 8 pulls. So after ten minutes I would not even think about hitting the primer, that right there may cause more issues than it solves, it's not needed. Fresh fuel is key with any saw, I'm running canned fuel right now.

Haven't had any issues. I've had mine sit for a month in a non heated shed for a month at temps ranging from -20 up to +35. Hasn't made a difference. I've primed it 5 times, fires up on 2-3 pulls. Will run it for a while, let it sit for 30-60 minutes and it fires up no problem. I haven't reprimed it unless it's been next day and that depends on temps. Been running it at various temps to see how the saw reacts to start ups and restarts in various conditions and various tasks. Continue to be impressed with it. Cut into 3 cords the other day at 5 degrees and it just warmed my whole body up immediately, haha. Wanna get the arctic package next!

Your not really priming it. Your pressurizing the system to its operating pressure.
I think that's only about 1.5 psi.
Now if it makes any major difference, long term, remains to be seen.
Of course, on the other hand, it might be running in a lean condition.
Time will tell.

Your not really priming it. Your pressurizing the system to its operating pressure.
I think that's only about 1.5 psi.
Now if it makes any major difference, long term, remains to be seen.
Of course, on the other hand, it might be running in a lean condition.
Time will tell.
Sure looks like priming in the video. The 1.5 psi comes from the case, so as soon as you turn the saw over it will start making pressure.

After a cut how long do you let it idle before turning it off?
My Mtronics seem to want 20 - 30 seconds or so before shutting down and then startup seems to be easier.
I'll try that... I normally idle a bit before I shut it off but maybe I need to for longer... this is the first new Stihl I've ever had, all my others are old 044s and 046s...

Sure looks like priming in the video. The 1.5 psi comes from the case, so as soon as you turn the saw over it will start making pressure.

That video was helpful, thanks! I wonder if the elevation has anything to do with it... I'm at 7000ft...

Manual stated 8 primes. I've used that and had no issue starting cold, zero hot start issues without primes. Only have 4 tanks through mine but have no regrets buying it over the 462/661 decision i was making.

With regards to supply, I don't know but suspect they are seeing supply chain issues due to COVID. Not getting political, but working in the auto industry we are seeing disruptions from suppliers on all continents. Currently computer chips are a huge constraint but others are creeping up as well.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy mine again...rips through oak and I think it feels lighter than the ms290 I have after a days work.

My brother and I want one, but our dealer (has been selling Stihl for close to 50 years and has been on Stihl's pro carving team for around 40 of those years) says that he was told that he would be lucky to see any 500i by June. He kept the first 500i that his dealership got and is planning on doing a bunch of mods to it.

Ugh yuk. I’ve had one on backorder for six months now and the dealer has continued to tell me “no info” on its delivery. Guess I’ll have to wait another six months.

hmmmm, there's been one sitting on the shelf at the local ACE store here for the past moth and a half.......

Latest posts

Back