Stihl 500i

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah I was only messing around, I agree I think he liked it.

I must admit, I couldn’t hear any change in the saw when he was doing those cuts, could you? I’ll listen again and try and hear it, but tried a couple of times and couldn’t tell.
First viewing I was too busy watching the saw and sawyer to notice the sound. Replayed and listened with my eyes shut and you can hear a bit of a change - from my own saws breaking in, I'd guess Buckin felt it begin to pull harder as much as anything....

It’s been -4 here a few mornings. prime 8-10, decomp. 1 little pup for tdc then 2 good pulls and she fires right up. Usually fires with one pull when warm and two if it’s been sitting for up to 20 mins. I only prime if it’s sat for more than say half hour.

Sure looks like priming in the video. The 1.5 psi comes from the case, so as soon as you turn the saw over it will start making pressure.

The saw has no pressure to inject the fuel when its stopped, until you prime it up, it should hold pressure when it is then stopped,
It has to be there for when the pressure drops
whether it be over time or just initial priming of the system, personally think the standard MT is less involved.

My previous Stihls were/are mid sized - 036, 361 and 362. I am not aware of any issue with their decomp. I do know my larger old MACs don’t seem to care much, they still crank and run with an open or even missing decomp which is why I have never thought to attribute the 500i issues to an open decomp. I think I will remove it and see if it needs a little fitment work. Will also give my other Stihls a look see.
Thanks, Ron
Old MACs are bullet proof. They also ran on 16:1 oil which glosses things over. The decomps are not a typical problem on your 60cc Stihl saws, or any Stihl saws that I have had. On the smaller ones I replace the decomp valves with bolts. No need for them really on the non-ported 361 or the 260. Of course I drop start saws. Easier starting that way. I need to use the decomp on the 660 and I needed them on former saws like the 066/044/460, so on the 500i it is probably a must have. With them not closing properly you will get a leaner air mix and not get full compression. I run WD-40 on the decomps once in a while and pull them up and down with a pliers to make sure that they are working right.

Alot of awesome info coming out in this thread! Love reading all of these posts! I did finally bite the bullet and bought one. Who knew that the Germans and the Sweds could work so well together!
1c95dbc2923b9f224ff5ec63cebeaa2a.jpg
2cfde41899e3a9e9e39437724956231f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I purchased a 500i this week and have only used it a few times. I've experienced some hot starts where the saw will fire and then stall and in each of these cases, it was because the de-compression valve didn't pop out.
Is there a way to fix that? Will WD40 help?

Latest posts

Back