Stihl 660 Intake Airfilter ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Racerboy832

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I opened up the exhaust on my 660. When I look at the intake side is there anything i should do? There is the air cleaner band, air filter, some black diverter and then the carb. I noticed dust inside the air cleaner. I don't see any holes in the filter. Is there any solution to clean the filter with? I usually just blow them off but it seems restrictive. There is also this black piece on the actual outer cover that slides out and can go to the top or bottom. What is that for?

the black piece is a little baffle, bottom for winter operation, top for summer/warm weather operation.

I don't think any modification or aftermarket parts are necessary, just a good clean filter. I got one of the Max-Flow air filter kits for my 066 mag because I needed a filter and the original cover was junk. It was less $$ to just get the kit and I wanted to see one in person and try it. It's most likely a waste of money and it's a pain in the a$$. It works good but if I have all the good stock parts I wouldn't waste the money.

Last edited:
I opened up the exhaust on my 660. When I look at the intake side is there anything i should do? There is the air cleaner band, air filter, some black diverter and then the carb. I noticed dust inside the air cleaner. I don't see any holes in the filter. Is there any solution to clean the filter with? I usually just blow them off but it seems restrictive. There is also this black piece on the actual outer cover that slides out and can go to the top or bottom. What is that for?

Well what i do on my 660's is i take that black plastic thing thats in side the filter out ad put one of the blue type sponge ones like you find on a 440 in. seems to help a little more with the crappy filtration. I dont like blowing them out because you can damage all those little fibers that make up the filter.

The black piece that slides out is for summer and winter conditions. when you put it in the lower spot it allows the hot air from the motor to travel into the air filter and carb area and prevent any icing that may occur.

I personally just like to switch over to the Max Flow air filters. they do a much better job and they are very easy to clean in the sink with hot water and soap. only down fall is they look butt ugly.

Not trying to contradict anyone, but every faller I know (myself included) in Montana runs the Max-Flow. They work great.

330051845_akJKt-M.jpg

330051848_7jNiC-M.jpg

329972480_VLSRM-M.jpg

329972479_J6XVQ-M.jpg

I've got a couple questions about your set up Brad. How does the cover stay on the saw without the screw knob? Does it just kinda float there over the filter? Also, what about leaving the intelli inlet bare on the carb? Seems you could get some crap in there pretty easily.

My stock set up has been fine for me. I may try swapping out the black spitback part for a sponge from a 440, like Cletuspsc said above.

The stock 066/660 filter setup flows more air than the engine can use. The filter is "oversize" from the start.

I run the stock filter setup and just give it a good wash in the kitchen sink with warm soapy water, not sure if this is the ideal way - used to wash dirtbike filters with kerosene and oil them - but considering the stihl filter shouldn't be oiled i don't use kero just plenty of warm water.
You can really see the dirt come out of it in the sink, also wash the flat section that sits around the back of the carb.
To dry i just sit it on the mantlepiece when the fire is on and then to test it i stick my mouth on the intake side block the hole and suck!!:dizzy: hardly scientific but you sure can tell the difference:greenchainsaw:
I figure compressed air may damage the fibres filtration efficiency. Petrol may work also but soapy water is cheaper.

The blue sponge inside the older HD filters is for SPIT BACK., not dust filtration... taking out the black plastic deflector (spit back deflector) and stepping back 10 years does nothing other than reduce your flow as the blue sponge sucks up mix oils

The blue sponge inside the older HD filters is for SPIT BACK., not dust filtration... taking out the black plastic deflector (spit back deflector) and stepping back 10 years does nothing other than reduce your flow as the blue sponge sucks up mix oils

yep.

pull that blue sponge off and smell the two stroke :)

Like a couple of the guys have said, you are probably getting all the air you need through the factory HD filter. I did this K&N filter for the fun of it. It's clamped to a small velocity stack and then covered with an Outerwear. Nothing gets through it and it's will rarely need cleaning, due to the Outerwear. I wouldn't run a K&N without one. The filter cover is not intended to be used with this filter setup. But I though it looked really tacky without out It's mounted with Velcro and will not fall off. The Intellicarb cover has since been replaced with a solid cover as the old carbs had.

Latest posts

Back