stihl 661 bar question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At a GTG that I attended awhile back, a guy hooked up an 18" bar with a sharp chain to an old but well-tuned 066 and blew away the competition. He had a smile on his face as he operated it. The log was also about 18" across, but that didn't seem to mind him.

That's an interesting chain Gypo
Looks like our old dog that's missing a few teeth around the front

Great photo by the way, love the old chairs!
Lol, I was wondering when somebody was gonna noticed that. The bar is a bit of an odity, being 13" and 063 guage.
I had to join a few short pieces of 063 to come up with 52 drivers or so, some was skip and some was full comp.
When the chain stretches a lil bit more I can remove one more DL making it look more symetrical.

Lol, I was wondering when somebody was gonna noticed that. The bar is a bit of an odity, being 13" and 063 guage.
I had to join a few short pieces of 063 to come up with 52 drivers or so, some was skip and some was full comp.
When the chain stretches a lil bit more I can remove one more DL making it look more symetrical.

I believe that thar is the definition of Yukon SKIP!

AKA: Craigslist skip. I saw one saw for sale here with half full skip and half half skip strung together. Guy was trying a fast one. That saw (034 super) also had a lot of Chicom parts so I passed on it. Actually it has been over a year now since I have found and bought a good CL saw around here. Used to be I would buy one or two a week (during the great recession).

I believe that thar is the definition of Yukon SKIP!

AKA: Craigslist skip. I saw one saw for sale here with half full skip and half half skip strung together. Guy was trying a fast one. That saw (034 super) also had a lot of Chicom parts so I passed on it. Actually it has been over a year now since I have found and bought a good CL saw around here. Used to be I would buy one or two a week (during the great recession).
Speaking of buying used saws, I just bought an 066 here. The was originaly bought at Cowlitz River Rigging in Longview WA. How it ended up here I'll never know. Was a good deal for 350 and a 32" Cannon bar.

Speaking of buying used saws, I just bought an 066 here. The was originaly bought at Cowlitz River Rigging in Longview WA. How it ended up here I'll never know. Was a good deal for 350 and a 32" Cannon bar.

$350 CDN?

OK. You suck!

Hell, bring it back down here to Longview and sell it for $700 USD! Probably was dragged up there by a wanna be Alaska/Yukon wood jock, and then after one winter got his ass kicked and so he sold all his stuff and headed back south. I have seen that happen a lot with crabbers, salmon fishing, lumbering, and guys with the gold bug. Been that way since the gold rush days.

$350 CDN?

OK. You suck!

Hell, bring it back down here to Longview and sell it for $700 USD! Probably was dragged up there by a wanna be Alaska/Yukon wood jock, and then after one winter got his ass kicked and so he sold all his stuff and headed back south. I have seen that happen a lot with crabbers, salmon fishing, lumbering, and guys with the gold bug. Been that way since the gold rush days.
Ya, you're probably right about the story behind the saw. I got it at a pawn shop here for 275 U.S
Lumberjack dude seemed to like to use the tip often cause it wasquite burred.
I'm not to fond of the full wrap though.
When I first picked up the saw it burned my hands, cause I thought it was hot.

Lumberjack dude seemed to like to use the tip often cause it wasquite burred.

Likely due to lots of bore and strap cuts. Common down here with larger trees.

When I first picked up the saw it burned my hands, cause I thought it was hot.

Yah, that thought had crossed my mind. Are the serial numbers scratched out?

3/4 wrapper? Dayum... that's the holy grail saw down this way. Now is it a poly or AL flywheel? And are the bearings as tight as a 14 year old Jewish Princess? I got burned on my first 066 because the bearings were shot. I sold it for parts on Ebay though and got more than my money out of it.

Likely due to lots of bore and strap cuts. Common down here with larger trees.

Yah, that thought had crossed my mind. Are the serial numbers scratched out?

3/4 wrapper? Dayum... that's the holy grail saw down this way. Now is it a poly or AL flywheel? And are the bearings as tight as a 14 year old Jewish Princess? I got burned on my first 066 because the bearings were shot. I sold it for parts on Ebay though and got more than my money out of it.
Ya, the flywheel is poly and the bearings are tighter than you described. The serial # is still intact.
It start first pull when I got it home.

There was a large theft of saws in WA about a year ago and a guy posted the SNs on CL here for a few months. He even called me when I listed my 441 6 or 8 months ago and checked the SN. Mine was clean. The guy that bought my 441 flipped it for $100 more on CL a few months later with a longer bar. Seems they go for more in Southern Oregon where he is.

Big reason that I sold down my once larger collection of saws. Theft bait. They see me using saws here, and then they come sniffing 'round.

We done hijacked this thread but good John...

Latest posts

Back