Stihl 661

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryan_marine

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Well got my 661 today. Ran a tank through it. I love it. Stronger than my built 660 and 066. That's the good news. Brought it home didn't think nothing about it. Was making dinner and my 4y/o son comes in and says "look at your new saw daddy". My 5y/o daughter put her stickers all over it. $1100 saw is now priceless. I told my son he can do my 461. That way I will be thinking about them while I am cutting.

Ray

I am not surpriced that you like it, it looks quite good "on paper".

The obvious question is how the AV is, is it springs or rubber?

Well, he did say that he has it. And then he said that he loves it. And it has more power than his 660 and 066. That's the review part.

But I spose some peoples are blind to positive Stihl reviews. :D

If that's true, what a blunder on huskies part, selling rights to the one that works and using the problem plagued one for themselves. LOL.

It is true, and they never had a single problem with the AT itself.

The few real problems you likely have heard about were with the carbs and the coils, not with the AT. Most that were "investigated" were just operator errors though....

Well, he did say that he has it. And then he said that he loves it. And it has more power than his 660 and 066. That's the review part.

But I spose some peoples are blind to positive Stihl reviews. :D

I have no problem with that, if the saw deserves it, and have done some myself (MS361). I just didn't see it as a real rewiew, just a first impression report! :)

It is true, and they never had a single problem with the AT itself.

The few real problems you likely have heard about were with the carbs and the coils, not with the AT. Most that were "investigated" were just operator errors though....
Come on ST, the coils and carbs are the major players in a AT system. It took Husky over 2 years and a recall of saws back to Sweden to solve most of their AT problems, yes design/engineering problems , not user error issues, to correct most of the faults. I don't drink the Stihl or Husky kool aid, could care less, I own and run them both. The MS661 looks to be a nice saw, time will tell.

Come on ST, the coils and carbs are the major players in a AT system. It took Husky over 2 years and a recall of saws back to Sweden to solve most of their AT problems, yes design/engineering problems , not user error issues, to correct most of the faults. I don't drink the Stihl or Husky kool aid, could care less, I own and run them both. .....

That is simply not true, as I recall it - I don't understand where you have that "info" from, as it obviously is wrong and misleading, and I haven't seen it before.....

I am not surpriced that you like it, it looks quite good "on paper".

The obvious question is how the AV is, is it springs or rubber?

It is spring, and they added a vertical spring in the front for support when running longer bars. :). All US 661s are supposed to be M-Tronic, though a carb version is rumored to be out for some foreign markets. 661 M-Tronic has more parameters then previous versions. I posted about it last week on the "alternate site."

Latest posts

Back