Stihl being sold in box stores now.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe 4-H and FFA can have immeasurable benefit for young people, but I would caution you to make sure and ask plenty of pointed questions before sending your child to any overnight 4-H or FFA event today. Both organizations are caving to the woke/politically correct crowd and are changing rather rapidly.
Example- National 4-H policy is currently that members at 4-H camps will be bunked based off of their "gender identity" without consulting with the parents or notifying them if the child is not bunked with their biological sex.
And National FFA official dress standards currently allow boys to wear female official dress.

Not saying that either will be the case at local events- I will not ever take one of my male students anywhere wearing a skirt, if it costs me my job, and I still have a prayer during the invocation at all of the FFA events I sponsor, even if it costs me my job, just that some FFA and 4-H groups are not the same as they were even a few years ago.
When we would get back from late night trips I would take my students home. This was pre-cell phone. Even back then the boys knew the girls went home first no matter how far out of the it was and I taught in a very expansive district.
As for invocation I would never be an Advisor to a FFA chapter that did not include that.

Efco can't and never could compete with Stihl.
Why do you think Stihl crawled in the sack with Deere? There were several reasons but one was simple. Deere had a large presence and was selling the poop out of Efco saws. What happed to Efco after that?

When we would get back from late night trips I would take my students home. This was pre-cell phone. Even back then the boys knew the girls went home first no matter how far out of the it was and I taught in a very expansive district.
As for invocation I would never be an Advisor to a FFA chapter that did not include that.
Same here- I won't bow to that crap, and if I am fired for refusing to call a boy a girl, or for having an invocation, it is time for me to find other employment.

Same here- I won't bow to that crap, and if I am fired for refusing to call a boy a girl, or for having an invocation, it is time for me to find other employment.
Here is a blast from the past......National Convention 1988 at the Pontiac Plant in Kansas CityKansas City FFA.jpg

Why do you think Stihl crawled in the sack with Deere? There were several reasons but one was simple. Deere had a large presence and was selling the poop out of Efco saws. What happed to Efco after that?
There is a John Deere dealer (green) in Marietta Ohio that counts as a big box store in my opinion.

What year were the independent dealerships (which are turning into chains at this point) given the opportunity to take on the line?

Efco lost a bunch of dealerships, A particular thread on here and elsewhere gets bumped occasionally. Bailey's ceased to sell the product and sale parts.

How much Efco stuff gets used on your grounds?
The inboard clutch top handle interest me. It is the brush cutter string trimmer configuration Efco stuff I use.

" in the sack"
"selling the poop"

A quick look at the used saw market will tell you they didn't sell many Efco saws ever. There just are not that many out there. Deere dealers don't sell that many Stihl saws either as near as I can tell.

Ace Hardware is a Stihl dealer here in NM. I have no interest in their saws so I’m not sure which models they sell.
I do have a FS38 trimmer that needed a new trimmer head. I went to Ace and they had the correct head for my trimmer already loaded with line.
I got home and bolted it on and went out to finish trimming and it wouldn’t feed. I tried to get it to feed manually and no dice. I tried pounding it on the concrete at full throttle and no joy.
I finally decided to take it apart and have a look inside. Sure enough the line was wound backwards FROM THE FACTORY.
I rewound the line correctly and now it is not quite as aggravating to operate as it was with the original head on it.
I can’t imagine how many times people have returned those trimmer heads. I told them at Ace what I experienced and that they should open the package every time they sell one and make sure it is wound correctly but I doubt if they will.

Let’s just say there’s a reason I’m not a Stihl fan and leave it at that.

Maybe a 20 year period from the 80's to sometime around 2000?
Prior to that Remington, Echo, Efco and Homelite built saws for Deere in that order.
Nowhere near that long.

Deere bought Homelite in 1994. By mid 2001 they were trying to sell it off. Sometime around 2002 Deere went to Ole-Mac/Efco. Then by late 2008 it was over and there were boatloads of Deere branded Efco saws sold at huge discounts. They had to dump them to make room for Stihl to crawl in bed.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/bs-xpm-2001-08-28-0108280050-story.html

Nowhere near that long.

Deere bought Homelite in 1994. By mid 2001 they were trying to sell it off. Sometime around 2002 Deere went to Ole-Mac/Efco. Then by late 2008 it was over and there were boatloads of Deere branded Efco saws sold at huge discounts. They had to dump them to make room for Stihl to crawl in bed.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/bs-xpm-2001-08-28-0108280050-story.html
Some of this stuff was up to the individual dealerships. Here locally Stanton Equipment had 3 branches, I went to the one in South Windsor and there I never noticed any chainsaw and similar product in the storefront which had the repair and used equipment and parts. They did put in a small Stihl section maybe 20 feet long both sides of an isle with a pole saw hung up high somewhere else. Some Picco duro chain near the cigars at the parts counter. Now Mr. Stanton has died and it is part of a larger chain and a new building was under construction. Probably finished by now. Like I posted earlier some storefronts for Deere dealerships count a big box stores. What is a boat load. Smaller than a ship load obviously.

As a casual observer it seems that Stihl will do what it takes to convert a brand x storefront into a Stihl one. There is one I am thinking of that sold Husky demo saws and that line (not any chainsaws or chainsaw parts and they got flipped. As an observer one has no idea if a storefront is behind on payments or what the credit arrangements is. You read on here my favorite dealer won't get in what I put my name in on a waiting list but the big box store Stihl gets them.

Stilh has a minimum display area requirement - only stilh equipment allowed. dealerships are tiered, with minimum orders both for parts and equipment. There is more to it but that's all I can remember now.

Stilh has a minimum display area requirement - only stilh equipment allowed. dealerships are tiered, with minimum orders both for parts and equipment. There is more to it but that's all I can remember now.
That may have been true in the past, but not anymore. The shipton's store I mentioned has Husky in one aisle and Stihl in the next with the ends of the Aisle containing both stihl and Husky goods 3 feet apart. They also don't stock any parts at all.

Best part about living where I live is logging saw shops that both support and work on both Stihl and Husqvarna saws.

Wood's Logging Supply and Madsen's Logging and Saw Supply are both badass...

Ever since the local mower and Stihl saw shop closed after the owner passed and the family closed the business, the local to me Ace Hardware took over Stihl sales and support. They are doing a pretty dang good job of it too.

Gary

Latest posts

Back