Stihl chain saws 1929 - 2012

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is the list from Stihl, or has it been compiled by someone outside Stihl?

Most of the info I notised when looking through it fits with other Stihl dokuments I have seen, but there also are some that isn't consistant with some other lists (from Stihl) that I have (or with Stihl website info I have made a note of).

Brings up the debate again as to whether the 066 was released in 1991 or before;)

I don't trust some of the info on the Stihl websites e.g. this wallpaper;
http://www.stihllibrary.com/wallpaper/stihl_051_av_1024.jpg

It says the electronic igniton was installed on the 050 and as result of constant updates was finally renamed the 051 in 1972... but the 051 was still installed with the points set up unitl 1974! (As per other Stihl literature).

I have been told a lot of false information by Stihl Technical (USA) in the past also, on questions about older saws.

What happened to the original list?

Brings up the debate again as to whether the 066 was released in 1991 or before;)

It says the electronic igniton was installed on the 050 and as result of constant updates was finally renamed the 051 in 1972... but the 051 was still installed with the points set up unitl 1974! (As per other Stihl literature).

I have been told a lot of false information by Stihl Technical (USA) in the past also, on questions about older saws.

:laugh: Sure, I mostly trust documents from the factory in Germany, unless when they can't agree with themselves :laugh:, but basically nothing that the marketing peope state. Also, there often is a difference between what happened in Germany/Europe and what happened in the US. This list had the focus on Germany, not on the US.

I still don't really understand why he removed it, even after a few pms back and forth, based on my questions in one of my posts.

The list is returned.

I hope it is ok so

The content is no guarantee of correctness.

This is not a list of Stihl

It is my list. :msp_cool:

Last edited:

The 066 was from 03/15/91 - built 9/15/2002

Stihl 038 Super

67,0 ccm - 4,35 PS in Preisliste 91 ab 1.4.1983 BRD

Die ersten Stihl 028 ab 1977 bis Seriennummer 6111990 (43 Woche 1979) hatten 43 ccm und einen Kolben mit 44 mm Durchmesser

Last edited:
Google Translate

Stihl 038 Super

67.0 cc - 4.35 PS 91 from list price BRD 04/01/1983

The first Stihl 028 from 1977 to serial number to 6.11199 million (43 weeks in 1979) had 43 cc and a piston with 44 mm diameter

Last edited:
just out of interest i have an old saw which i believe to be an 051AVEQ but the name tag was has worn i could only make out a V and it has a chain brake (quickstop) and electronic ignition but the serial number starts 1105 ? it also looks different to my other 051 well mainly the the air filter shroud its taller than my other one and taller than the 076 i have in the shed so im still not 100% as to what model it is

just out of interest i have an old saw which i believe to be an 051AVEQ but the name tag was has worn i could only make out a V and it has a chain brake (quickstop) and electronic ignition but the serial number starts 1105 ? it also looks different to my other 051 well mainly the the air filter shroud its taller than my other one and taller than the 076 i have in the shed so im still not 100% as to what model it is

Unfortunately the serial number has little to do with what model it is, but you can get an estimate of the age. Starting 1105 corresponds to approx 1982.
Post a picture of the saw if you can. It sounds like it may have the TS510/TS760 air filter set up.

I am sorry, I thought this was an obituary for a German saw company, "1929-2012"

Just kidding.

Cheers
'Quatch

Unfortunately the serial number has little to do with what model it is, but you can get an estimate of the age. Starting 1105 corresponds to approx 1982.
Post a picture of the saw if you can. It sounds like it may have the TS510/TS760 air filter set up.

I agree. Sounds like it has the cutoff saw filter cover/setup installed.

JD, new to forum not to hefting saws, been taking a close read on your 051 posts-you sir have done a tremendous service taking the time to discuss the tells between the 051/075. I think many of us still running the early models have acquired some level of Franken-saw. I have been milling with my 051 for some time and know a cylinder is in my future. As I prepare for that inevitability I have interested to see just what the saw I have might be. Acquired with a 20" bow bar turning .404, shifted to a 30" super skip for ripping... Yes it is a bear to hold onto. Will try to upload a picture. Serial unfortunately is a six digit: 6866641. Thoughts gentlemen on age?

Back