Stihl chain VS oregon and others.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pretty much everything said in response to your question is accurate to my experiences.

Stihl is a very good chain, but only if you use high volumes is it worth paying the extra cost. Here a loop is basically twice the price of any other brand of chain i run. Makes it hard to justify as i don't get anywhere near double the life from the Stihl chain. I however personally find it to be the best chains i have ever used. The Stihl yellow 3/8 mini chain i run on my 14" bar on my 338XPT just never goes dull. Sometimes i don't have to even touch it up for several climb jobs, it just keeps spitting chips. Same goes for 325 and full size 3/8 Stihl chain i have used on my larger saws.

I also use a lot of Carlton and GB (old GB chain is re branded Carlton while new GB EvoII chain is Chinese but actually very good!) and also Oregon LGX. If i had to place them it would be Stihl followed by Carlton/GB and very close third to Oregon. I do run a lot of Oregon and i find it a very good chain. It just doesn't hold up as well as the Stihl. The small differences between them all depend really on what price you can get loops for.

Example: GB EVOII 325 050 66DL for my 346XP NE. $16
Stihl chain same size from my local Stihl dealer ......$38

I do not get double chain life from the Stihl even over the Chinese GB EVOII, but it is over double the price for me. Therefore i have stopped buying Stihl chain while i am running the EVOII.

Genuine parts for chainsaws are always better than aftermarket. However, there are aftermarket products that may save your day if you cannot find replacements for your chainsaw or other power tools (mostly because the tools is so old the parts aren't manufactured anymore). If you need a Oregon chain for your chainsaw, check here https://www.chainsaw.parts/chains/

To me it is. That said I usually get my chains "in bulk" from a dealer upstate who makes if off the reel, so it is not too bad.

IMO, the Stihl chains stays sharp longer than most other chains and last longer than most other chains.

I have also purchased "discount" chains that don't seem to cut as well, so to me they are not worth it.

Latest posts

Back