Stihl Chains Dangerous?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

groundup

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Are the regular Stihl chains, the ones without the green marks, that much more dangerous than the ones with the low kickback green marks?

had a good laugh... when I read your title.. LOL

seriously ... all chainsaws are dangerous!

some chains are more prone to kickback. larger pro saws have much higher kick back potential.

don't want to tell you most home owner type saws don't kick back. they can.

always wear safety gear, chaps, ear pro, glasses, gloves, etc.

Are the regular Stihl chains, the ones without the green marks, that much more dangerous than the ones with the low kickback green marks?

but is it because of safety/non safety, or because stihl safety is chipper, non is chisel? What's the actual performance difference between S or not, but with exactly the same tooth?
k

I think the best anti-kickback tool is using your head. I guess I never pondered it much, but I am very aware of where that bar tip is at all times. When I do see a situation where kickback may occur, I straighten and tighten my left arm a little more, slide my left hand just a tad more to the right on the handle and cut more precisely watching carefully as I do it.

I'm no expert but I think I've experience a seriously lack of kickbacks due to this process and running the chain at high speeds while cutting in those circumstances. Seems lower rpms are more susceptible to kickback... at least that's what I've experienced.

Stay safe, use your head.

StihlRockin'

I think its been said before, they're as safe as the user is, and the best PPE is your own common sense, and I might add, your own sense of well being.
And despite some people's preconceptions, a small screaming POS saw with a short bar will get you in trouble jsut as fast or faster than a big ol' clunker sometimes, stay outta the bite! Read up on kickback, do a search or three, get informed!
To above ^^, pray you never have a WOT kickback, those little bumps at low RPM are nothing compared to it and any of them can maim or kill you. Watch the tip eh!
But mainly work smart and safe; your kids, family, and insurance company will be happier.
Hows that fer a useless redundant post? :D

:cheers:

Serge

Last edited:

Are you careful? The more careful and experienced you are, the less dangerous they are to you. There is always danger with chainsaws. They tend to cut stuff fairly well. Wood, legs, feet, heads (kickback), etc

Mark

I actually cut my left pointer finger almost to the bone from a Stihl RSF chain while sharpening it, its sharp whether the saw is running or not.

The whole key is to READ THE BOOK on your saw to learn about what causes kickback - then put it into practice. Be careful and don't rush yourself - thats when you will run into problems.

Even a dull chain or safety chain could cause a nasty flesh wound.

I sliced my finger wide open on the same type of chain, while showing a customer NOT to rotate it after fitting do without gloves.. great...:mad: :bang: :bang:

Last edited:
I actually cut my left pointer finger almost to the bone from a Stihl RSF chain while sharpening it, its sharp whether the saw is running or not.

The whole key is to READ THE BOOK on your saw to learn about what causes kickback - then put it into practice. Be careful and don't rush yourself - thats when you will run into problems.

Even a dull chain or safety chain could cause a nasty flesh wound.

I hate that. I've flayed a finger or two when sharpening. You wonder where the blood came from, or why you have a flap of skin on your finger. You never notice it until much later. After you bled all over your clothes, or catch the skin flap on something.

Mark

Yes, but absolutely no offence meant to ya mate!

Serge

LOL! I didn't take it as an offense. I just thought it was odd you directed that at me because I know the dangers of low rpms...

Hence the reason I said "Seems lower rpms are more susceptible to kickback...", meaning that no matter your chain speed, you have to respect the situation whether you're running full throttle or not.

Yeah, that --->:cheers:

icon10.gif

Latest posts

Back