Stihl chains

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chub

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey guys, Wanted to thank everyone who helped me with my oiler problem on my371. It was that small plastic gear,I think it was $8. The next question I have is about chains,For as long as I had my saw I have been running stihl ripping chains and love them,Well when was cleaning up my saw to fix the oiler I realized that my bar is 3/8 by .058 and I have always been running a 3/8 .050. Is this somthing to be concerned about, and if so could my bar be ruined. I would really like to keep running this style chain what are my options? Get a .050 bar,or does stihl make a .058 ripping chain, or should I start over with a new bar and chain. Does anyone know what bars would fit on my 371? Sorry for all the questions. Chub

bar

If you've been running it for a long time, then they are both probably shot. Because the extra side to side play of the .50 chain in the .58 bar, would wear them both out.:greenchainsaw: :cheers:

Hey guys, Wanted to thank everyone who helped me with my oiler problem on my371. It was that small plastic gear,I think it was $8. The next question I have is about chains,For as long as I had my saw I have been running stihl ripping chains and love them,Well when was cleaning up my saw to fix the oiler I realized that my bar is 3/8 by .058 and I have always been running a 3/8 .050. Is this somthing to be concerned about, and if so could my bar be ruined. I would really like to keep running this style chain what are my options? Get a .050 bar,or does stihl make a .058 ripping chain, or should I start over with a new bar and chain. Does anyone know what bars would fit on my 371? Sorry for all the questions. Chub

I run stihl chains too but have never seen one designed for ripping besides the PMX sold through logosol, just the crosscut chain at the Stihl dealer.

I believe Stihl still offers 0.058 crosscut if your bar is usable

A Ripping chain is what the place I buy them from calls them. The part no. is 33rs-72 or 33rsc 72. They keep them in the back and put all the low kickback chains out in the store. I think I saw a post on here where a guy had a stihl bar on his 372,what other bars would be a good choice. I think it would be a good time to start fresh since I just replaced the rear sproket. The store that I get the chains only stocks .050 I could ask if they could get them in.058 and get another husky bar. Is there an advantage to running a .058? Thanks again, Chub

There is no advantage in running 0.058, but there is an advantage in running the correct chain for the BAR! Buy a 0.050 bar.

The 33rs or rsc is not a ripping chain... unless someone has modified it for ripping.. It's a standard chisel cutter chain.

This is odd. For nearly 3yrs now I've been running .050 in my .058 bars and haven't had a problem... What problem am I supposed to see??? I didn't know it would hurt it if done this way, the .058 in the .050 bar I could see... Info please eh???

:popcorn:

You like sloppy bar fits? Making any straight cuts in big wood? Maybe with a new bar they would feel o.k., but as the chain wears the bar asymetrially (picture the chain twisted slightly sideways) things go from bad to worse. Sure... I know the old stuff about using 058 chain in worn 050 bars, 063 chains in worn 058 bars etc, but..

Ok,how about some 20"bar recomendations please,also is the rear sproket affected by the two different gauges?

Bars...

Stihl ES, Oregon Powermatch, Windsor Speedtip, GB Ti,... take your pick...

Gauge size (i.e. .050, .063) will not affect the drive sprocket. Pitch size (i.e. 3/8", .325, .404) will affect the drive sprocket.

Change the chain pitch, and you will need to change the sprocket to the same.

Gary

Last edited:
Ok,how about some 20"bar recomendations please,also is the rear sproket affected by the two different gauges?
No you can use the same sprocket on the saw for any of the gauges. For example a 3/8" saw sprocket can be used on 3/8" .050, .058, .063, etc chain.

Thanks alot guys. So if I wanted to use the saw in the mountians this weekend ,I would only ruin the old chain and old bar which sounds like I will be replacing anyway.

Last edited:
no sweat mang...

Just remember... chain pitch affects the sprocket size, where chain gauge affects the bar size (space between the rails).

You can run different size gauges of chain and not have to change the drive sprocket (given you do not change the chain pitch), but will have to change the bar.

You can run the same gauge of chain in different pitch sizes, and then you will have to change the sprocket, but not the bar.

Clear as mud? :)

Gary

Any bar with the "large Husky" mount will fit the 371, every bar brand except Stihl has them.

Stihl does make .058 chains in both .325 and 3/8", but very few Shops etc offer the 3/8" ones for sale - the only place I have seen it offered is on a German internet shop.....:givebeer:

So what you are saying is that stihl does not make a bar to fit the 371,I thought for sure I saw a picture on this site with a guy cutting wood with his 371 and a stihl bar. Chub

Oops... sorry chub... forgot you were lookin' for a bar for a 371. :blush:

If you buy a Husqvarna bar in the states... it will be a rebadged Oregon Powermatch. They are good bars. Plus it will at least say "Husqvarna" on the side in blue letters, instead of "Oregon Powermatch" in Red letters.

Gary

What about a cannon bar,has anyone had any experience with them. I may be working near a cannon dealer next week.Chub

Good advice Gary but are you overlooking the sprocket tipped bars? You can't change chain pitch based on gauge alone....the tip must me changed to so the pitch matches. Of course hard nosed bars have no pitch so what you've said is true about them.

Good post Dan... thanks... I completely forgot about that. :)

What about a cannon bar,has anyone had any experience with them. I may be working near a cannon dealer next week.Chub

Cannon bars are exceptional bars... but the price is too!

Gary

The dealer for cannon quoted me $70 for the 20" not sure what tip is on for that price. The quy from GB called me back and said the bar I would want is the CN40 Pro titanium He said the same dealer where I get my chains is a dealer for them. Haven't got a price yet from them, also I could not even find any info on that GB bar anywhere. So I guess its down to these two. Chub

Latest posts

Back