Stihl Chainsaw issues

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dougie Dog

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Okay so here it is...Makes no sense to me. I have a MS 290 for starters. I last used it about 3-4 weeks ago. Started right up and I replaced the bar and chain at this time. This past Saturday a tree fell at the house so I broke her out. Filled all the fluids and went to cutting. Worked like a champ all day Saturday but it wasnt constant use. Sunday Morning I started cutting again. Halfway through the second cut it starts to bog. First thought was it was out of gas but that wasnt the case. So I started again and everytime I hit the gas it wants to bog. It will idle fine with no issues and I can get it to rev up while playing with the choke. Pulled and cleaned air filter and spark plug with the same results. Even pulled the bar and chain off for the hell of it. Did not make a difference. Saws only a few years old and I have never had any issues until now. Just weird how it ran like a scolded dog Saturday and again when starting sunday. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Try posting your question under the "chainsaw" section a little further down the main page, you'll get a better response there.

Check the fuel hose for cracks between the tank and carb.

Could also be something in the H jet.

I just had this problem with my 170 a week or so ago. Problem went away the next day. I started it up and it took a while of playing with the choke but it eventually came out of it and took off. I could only attribute it to something blocking the high jet and the dislodging itself the next day upon start-up.

Last edited:
If it runs at higher RPMs with the choke on you are, most likely, looking at a fuel issue. The saw is running too lean with the choke off. Since it ran fine just a few days ago I am betting you have a partially blocked carb jet (internal). I am betting a thorough carb disassembly and cleaning will do the trick.

Try taking the muffler off and cleaning the little screen.it gets clogged with carbon and causes all kinds of issues.

Latest posts

Back