Stihl chainsaw parts breakdown and parts source?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheLazyBFarm

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a MS362 that I bought new in late 2013. It's been flawless in all that time - pull a couple times, starts right up. Today, I ran it a couple times taking down a large standing dead Maple. After filling it up with gas and oil, went back at it - nothing. No spark, no fire, no nothing. I suspect the ignition module, but haven't confirmed yet.

I came back to my PC to look for a parts breakdown and parts source; my google-fu must suck since I can't find either. I'm spoiled by Messick's On-line Parts site, where I can find Kubota tractor, RTV and ZTR parts diagrams, breakdowns and part numbers easey-peasey.

Where can I find parts diagrams and breakdowns for Stihl chainsaws?

What are your preferred sources for genuine Stihl chainsaw parts?

Oh now I know why I can't find something that should be stupid forking easy to find:

"Genuine STIHL parts, service manuals and Illustrated Parts Lists are released exclusively to authorized dealers, technicians and distributors of our products. This ensures our authorized full-line servicing STIHL Dealers are best able to service your STIHL equipment."

FML. :mad:

I have a MS362 that I bought new in late 2013. It's been flawless in all that time - pull a couple times, starts right up. Today, I ran it a couple times taking down a large standing dead Maple. After filling it up with gas and oil, went back at it - nothing. No spark, no fire, no nothing. I suspect the ignition module, but haven't confirmed yet.

I came back to my PC to look for a parts breakdown and parts source; my google-fu must suck since I can't find either. I'm spoiled by Messick's On-line Parts site, where I can find Kubota tractor, RTV and ZTR parts diagrams, breakdowns and part numbers easey-peasey.

Ignition module is possible but unlikely. An open in the wiring harness will cause a no-spark condition... Or you possibly flooded it. Did you pull the plug and was it wet?

Also at that vintage it is past due for the solenoid and fuel filter upgrade which has caused different issues.

I pulled the plug, cleaned it and regapped it to 0.02". when I pulled it, it was in good shape and dry.

Parts diagram, breakdown and recommended places to buy replacement parts?

I'm seeing aftermarket ignition modules on Amazon for $20. Another thread here mentioned that IMs from Stihl were around $100; makes the Amazon versions very suspect.

Go to the stickies section of the chainsaw page.(top of page). Go to the beg for manuals thread and ask there. Someone will get you the info you end thru a PM .

Ignition module is possible but unlikely. An open in the wiring harness will cause a no-spark condition... Or you possibly flooded it. Did you pull the plug and was it wet?

Also at that vintage it is past due for the solenoid and fuel filter upgrade which has caused different issues.
You also need to confirm whether or not this is an M-tronic saw or plain carburetor. Post a photo of the silver engine family label on the rear handle.

With the plug out resting on the block and the switch on and in a dark garage do you see a spark when you pull the starter?

google-fu? Don't blame the web for not making you happy. Next, have you chased the ENTIRE wiring of the engine? Maybe your OFF setting needs a new brass wrap with wire lug? Isolate the grounds, and than check for spark, with a tester, not a plug.

As to the virtual river of Stihl IPL's, that were graciously provided us by a fellow member............those are erased.

You also need to confirm whether or not this is an M-tronic saw or plain carburetor. Post a photo of the silver engine family label on the rear handle.

With the plug out resting on the block and the switch on and in a dark garage do you see a spark when you pull the starter?
It's the CM model, I should have included that.

ETA: I got it running. Cleaned the air filter (wasn't all that bad), removed the spark plug, regapped it (didn't take much) and cleaned and brightened the surfaces; blew out the carb (a little vapor came out, not much); put it back together and it fired right up. Flooded?

I've ordered a spare spark plug.

Found this post over on the *********:

"Should be the same kit as on the MS 362 C-M (same parts) 1140 007 1802

Edit: 5/29/2019
It is the same kit!!"

Thus far, the only place I've found someone selling this kit is on fleabay.

So a couple questions:

- Now that I have it running, is it worth it to go ahead and buy this kit - or l eave well enough alone?
- Is this something I can do; i.e. is something on the outside of the main case (like the ignition module) or is it buried and requires a pretty extensive teardown?
- How much would a Stihl charge me to R&R this kit?

I'll get a pic of the engine label later today.

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back