Stihl chainsaws, pronounced still or steel?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And all along I been saying st-hil . If it wasn;t for a spell clerker I'm telling you, my posts would be unreadable. When you are dislexic you rely on hearing it said, cause splling isnt a strong suite.

Ever been to a deslexics spelling bee ? As long as we get the first and last letter right and all the ones in the middle we get it right.

Be Nice
Dyslexics Are Teople Poo

or

Dyslexics Of The World Untie

Last edited:
Really , I have to confess. I'm just a poor speller that's gramatically challenged. I know a great guy that is dislexic. Would help me out in a newyork minute if I asked. It's not an issue between us and I do the same for him when needed. He knows I know so I get called on to help out too.

Avalancher, great thread. Tomato, tamotoe just keep cutting !

In the coarse of a discussion about fine built chainsaws yesterday at our local shop, the disagreement came up about how Stihl is supposed to be pronounced. I heard a factory rep guy years ago at a show pronounce as "steel" and I assumed because he worked for the company he should know how it is pronounced. The owner of our local shop however is a Stihl dealer, and he pronounced it as still. The handful of local guys were pretty evenly divided on the correct way.
I guess thats why I run Husky, at least there isnt any argument over how to pronounce it!:clap:
What do you think?
I grew up in the Cariboo, it’s a major logging area in central BC. My dad was a giant of a man, 6’8” 330 Lbs of faller and buckerman through the 50’s 60’s 70’s and 80’s. A rather extensive history and of course experience. I always remember his saws. Usually a few sizes up from everyone else’s lol. Anyways, he as well as everyone else in this area called a Stihl “Still”. I also remember clearly seeing commercials on Stihl chainsaws as I was growing up through the 70’s and 80’s where the pronunciation was “Still”. It’s been the last 20 years, I’d say, where advertisers have been pronouncing the product as Steel. Who can argue with the company though, right?!? Moreover who can argue with history. All of the old timers around the Cariboo call it Still, while all the younger men who now predominantly make up that part of the workforce here call it the modern way “Steel”. I’ll stick with the phonetic of Stihl “Still” the way it always used to be advertised decades ago. Either one is pretty cool though. Great name and great product. Now how about the pronunciation of Husqvarna, you wouldn’t believe how many people pronounce it as Husqavarna. I’m thinking because it just rolls off the tongue easier with that extra “a” thrown in there, although my mouth seems to do just fine with Husqvarna eh! :)

In the coarse of a discussion about fine built chainsaws yesterday at our local shop, the disagreement came up about how Stihl is supposed to be pronounced. I heard a factory rep guy years ago at a show pronounce as "steel" and I assumed because he worked for the company he should know how it is pronounced. The owner of our local shop however is a Stihl dealer, and he pronounced it as still. The handful of local guys were pretty evenly divided on the correct way.
I guess thats why I run Husky, at least there isnt any argument over how to pronounce it!:clap:
What do you think?
Ask a German.

Wow, what a blast from the past. I miss Avalancher. Always enjoyed his posts.

How I (mis)pronounce saw manufacturer’s names’: Steel, Hus-qua-varna/Husky, Shinnydaiwa, Echo, Ho-ma-lite/Homie, Mc-Cull-ugh/Mac, Sucks Dolmar, and Poo-lan (as in, “You poolan ‘em and poolan ‘em, but they still wont start!”).
Also, necro-thread!

Latest posts

Back